• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary topics are missing from WebHelp index created using RH2020

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My RH2020 project includes a glossary with roughly 200 topics, all of which have at least one keyword entered in the Index section of Topic Properties. When I view the Index panel in RoboHelp, the keywords for all the glossary topics appear as expected. However, when I generate WebHelp that includes the Index and view the output, none of the glossary keywords appear in the Index. The rest of the Index entries are intact, as far as I can tell (there are hundreds of them). I have generated iterations of this project many times in the past without encountering this issue. The glossary topics do appear when I use the Search panel to find them. 

Anyone have advice on why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Don't accidentally set you Glossary topic to Hide in Output though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of RH2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 2020.6.76

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp as such does not exist in the new UI and was replaced by responsive and frameless outputs. I'm guessing you upgraded from a Classic version. That being the case the default is an HTML5 Indigo skin. Is that the skin showing in Outputs > Skins? If it is, then create a Frameless skin for testing and see if that does what you expect. I don't think it will but let's rule it out.

As I understand it, what you are doing is creating a glossary with a term such as Order and a definition such as "The sequence of things". Then you are adding Order to your index. Correct?

What I am missing is that only means you have created an index entry with Order in it and a glossary term using the same word. I'm not following why you think that will link to the glossary term.

It's late here so maybe I am missing something. I'll look again in the morning. I will also try to find a post that I know exists that sets out the logic of what the search finds.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the post that explains how search works. It was written by an Adobe employee. It makes no reference to the glossary.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/search-anomalies/m-p/11748980#M135360

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also have asked if the index terms appear in the Index panel on the left. I think there was an issue where adding a term in Topic Properties did not add it correctly. Not sure but it's ringing a bell. You may need to apply Update 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the index terms from the glossary topics are appearing in the Index panel on the left in RoboHelp, just not in the generated WebHelp. I'll give applying Update 7 a try. You are correct, by the way, that I upgraded from a classic version a few years ago. The Output skin is HTML5 Azure_Blue. Is that what you mean by Indigo?

Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unsure how you have added index keywords to glossary definitions in the Glossary panel as glossary terms don't have a Properties dialog box/panel in either Classic or New UI.

You also use the word "topic" to describe your glossary. This implies you aren't using the Glossary panel. Can you confirm where your glossary topics appear and how you add them? A screenshot or two would help.

One thought is you have a manually updated topic called Glossary that is set up to look like a glossary page with alphabetic headings and then terms that link to separate topics. Like:

A

- apple

- avocado

B

- banana

- blackberry

If this is the case, then try adding all your glossary topics to the table of contents, and mark each one as "Hide in Output". That should ensure the index entries are compile correctly. 

Tip: If you put all your glossary topics in a folder called "Glossary" you can drag the folder into the ToC to quickly add all the glossary entries. Then in the ToC you can select the folder and all topics in that folder, and apply the Hide in Output setting to all selected items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't accidentally set you Glossary topic to Hide in Output though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about how I have my glossary set up. More importantly, your suggestion to add all the glossary topics to the TOC and set them all to Hide in Output worked! Also, thanks for the drag-the-folder tip. All the topics were already in a Glossary folder, so moving them all to the TOC was quick and easy.

I've had my glossary set up this way for years. It will remain a mystery to me why the keywords assigned to these topics suddenly stopped appearing in the compiled Index. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add some screenshots showing what you are adding and where. It helps if you use the photo icon to insert images within the post. Seeing an image inline with the text makes it easier for anyone answering or viewing the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's a side effect of the change that came in RH2019 New UI. This new version includes far less in the output. A topic has to either be in the table of contents, or a topic that is in the table of contents has to link to that topic, for it to be included in the output. In Classic, everything was included in the output unless a condition tag excluded it.

As a side effect, it appears that anything dragged in because it is only linked from a topic is not processed in the same way as a topic include in the ToC. In this case, the index entries weren't generated because they weren't "in" the project you were generating.

At least, that appears to be what is happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp