• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Anybody created a knowledge base using RH2017?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just curious about how the RH knowledge base would work. Specifically whether people viewing the published knowledge base (users of the system which I am documenting) would be able to feed back, or contribute to it in some way?

One of the items on the "wish list" I was presented in my first few days in the new job, was for a means by which users could feed back; ask questions to which other users or Our support staff could respond with hints, tips and advice. Rather like this forum I guess.

Yesterday I noticed the "Knowledge Base" project setting and wondered if this would do the job. On reflection I cant see how anybody else could add content to a published RH project, unless they had RH installed on their machine and access to the source files. Maybe I am confusing the terms "Knowledge Base" and "Wiki". Until today I assumed they were synonymous.

Could anybody please clarify what a RH Knowledge base does and whether non-robohelp users can feed back or add content to it. If I were to create a knowledge base in RH, would I then need to set up some other mechanism to obtain feedback and content from users (maybe an "email us" button in my help project) and then add the questions - and responses - to the knowledge base myself?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

The Knowledge Base is simply a layout suited to creating KB topics. Your are correct that users cannot add to it. I believe it is possible to add suitable pages but it needs developer level skills and an underlying database.

There are ways of adding a link to create an email. See Snippets > Email.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Knowledge Base is simply a layout suited to creating KB topics. Your are correct that users cannot add to it. I believe it is possible to add suitable pages but it needs developer level skills and an underlying database.

There are ways of adding a link to create an email. See Snippets > Email.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again! I tried to create a mailto: link using first the snippets of code on your site and subsequently using the Insert hyperlink (email) option in RoboHelp.

When I clicked on the mailto link I was expecting my email software to open, so I could send an email to the addressee whose email address I entered in the Mailto dialog (or the code snippet I pasted into the HTML editor).

But all that happened was the Google Chrome browser opened.

The same thing happened whether I previewed the topic or clicked on the link in the compiled help.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm using the Responsive HTML5 layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of the two methods is opening Google? To the best of my knowledge the method on my site works in responsive as well. I have not heard anyone else report it opens Chrome. That sounds more like it is not set up correctly than a bug.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of the methods yield the same result.

I cant see what I'm doing incorrectly.

In a topic, type text "Email me"

Select text

Right click text, select "Insert Hyperlink"

In the dialog box which opens, select "Email" from the "Link to" drop down.

enter the intended recipient's email address immediately after "Mailto:" in the text box

eg. mailto:varvatsis@gmail.com

click OK

compile the help

Click on the text "Email me" in the compiled help

Google Chrome start page is displayed.

I guess I must be missing a step somewhere but I cant work out what it might be.

I did notice in the Remote URLS list, the

Mailto:varvatsis@gmail.com

entry reverted to just saying

Mailto:

recently. Maybe this has something to do with the problem. Do I maybe need to set up the email location somewhere else before it appears in the Remote URLs list mentioned above (in the Insert Hyperlink Dialog)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Item 1 in Snippets Email has a link that opens my email program. What happens if you click it?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the following "Mail to example" link, when I click it...

the following pop-up appears

this pop-up appears when I try to add an email hyperlink in RoboHelp's design window, or if I paste the code into the HTML editor from any of the examples on this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you've got your file associations mixed up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas how I would fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check your settings - in Win10 it's "Choose default apps by file type"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Magic! Thanks fellas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magic! Thanks fellas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp