• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has the MS Word import been improved since RoboHelp 2015?

Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I have been searching the Adobe website for info but finding details is difficult. In older versions the import of Word documents was quite limited compared to Framemaker. For example you could not remove the chapter numbering in titles. 

Can you give me a short update, or is there a goode site about this?

BR,

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

The way @Rsfl's document was set up meant they imported without the numbering as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole program has improved a lot since then. In 2020 it has a new user interface. It takes some getting used to but once past the learning curve, it is much easier to find features and use them.

You can learn more about in the the RoboHelp Tour Introduction (grainge.org) on my site.

When you import you can map to various style options that should resolve that issue. As far as I recall it wasn't difficult back in RoboHelp 2015.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

thank you for the fast response.  My greatest concern is the import functionality for Word documents, I checked this on your website and on first impression the improvements seem rather minor. I will do a detailed comparision and I will definitely look into the new UI.

BR,
Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A car with an engine that doesn't work looks much like one with an engine that does work. It's when you try to use it to find the difference. I think you will find the process work much better.

Ultimately the process always was and will be converting a Word document into an HTML file, so the steps will look much the same. What matters is how well the steps work. It may not be perfect as you are converting one file format where Microsoft can make it work any way they choose to another format with strict rules. It is being refined continously.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem used to be that RoboHelp converted the chapter numbers into plain text. There was no possibility to suppress them using the style mapping. Hopefully this functionality has been added (just like in the FM import).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about chapters whereas the import is topics. The document is imported breaking it on topic headings.

If the document is numbered by typing in a number, there's not much RoboHelp can do about that. If the numbering is coming from an autonumbered style in Word, it should be possible to import without the numbering or quickly fix it after import.

I'm not 100% sure though so if you want to send me a simple document I will be happy to try it. See my site for contact details. Attach the document to the email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing, great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way @Rsfl's document was set up meant they imported without the numbering as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp