Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble copying drop-down text

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've been using a lot of drop-down text section in my documentation.  I use them to show/hide additional information on certain sections, and I have anything between 2 and 10 of them on each of the pages in my documentation, so I can't just leave them out.

However, since upgrading my project to the 2019 layout, I keep getting "failures" on my drop-down text sections.  A bunch of them simply stopped working, in other words they don't "drop down" when I double-click them in the editor, and they also don't work when I click them in the HTML5 output.

Further, in the previous version (2017), I used to simply copy-paste the collapsed drop-down text section to where I needed a new one (because I have some containers in them I use across the board) and edited the images or tables as needed.  When I do the same now, it seems the drop-downs get linked together, so if I open up one in the output, they all open up and the images are all stuffed up.

I did some research and it seems like the drop-downs are handled differently between the two versions.  In 2017, the dropdowns were named and numbered like this:

<a class="dropspot" data-rhwidget="DropSpot" data-target="POPUP5151179732"...etc

The dropdown contents would then be linked via that same data-target POPUP#### number.  I went back and looked in the 2017 project - copying this automatically increments that number behind the popup, resulting in a unique, working drop-down in each case.  In 2019, they simplified this drastically and changed the naming style to:

<a class="dropspot" data-rhwidget="DropSpot" data-target="drop_down4"... etc

So while the only difference is the naming of the dropdowns to "drop_down##", it isn't working that well.  Copying that dropdown creates a new one in the editor, but it doesn't update the drop-down number accordingly, so you have two (or more) pieces of code in the backend that has the same data target, which is why I assume I'm having issues with the reliability and contents.

Sometimes, clicking the one drop-down doesn't even open both, but it opens another one (where it was copied from) at another place in the page.  Has anyone else found this issue as well, and if so, how did you go about fixing it?  Is it something Adobe is aware of?  I've searched, but can't find the same issue anywhere...

Hoping to hear from you guys soon, as helpful as you always are!

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic or new UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New UI. Classic one follows the 2017 convention, as far as I can make out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applied all the patches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have applied all the patches and my program is up to date, yes. I also have the hotfix installed. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the confusion in what I posted earlier. I'm taking another look now!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right in understanding that rather than creating new dropdowns, you are pasting a "master" from somewhere and that is when the problem occurs?

Are you copying the hotspot and the content? Does it work OK if you just paste the content into a new dropdown?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I create a new hotspot and just copy-paste the content, it works fine. That's because if I create a new drop-down, it automatically get the correct drop-down number. It's when I copy the collapsed drop-down hotspot where the trouble happens. I can make a video to explain the problem I have, if that would help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for a video. It's clear that pasting the whole dropdown (hotspot and content) is what's causing the problem. For now you have a workaround, don't paste the hotspot. I will report the problem to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know Adobe have logged this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir, I was wondering if you could perhaps let me know what the issue number is at Adobe?  I'm on V10 now, with all updates installed and the same problem persists.  The dropdowns also act weird when I place dropdowns inside other dropdowns, and just creating new ones doesn't really fix it anymore.  I have to manually edit the dropdown numbers now in the code, which gets really annoying to keep track of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was logged internally so I don't know the number. There is an update due very soon.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp