Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide Breadcrumbs in Mobile Outputs?

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with CSH calls, and everything is working as expected thanks to Mr. Van Weelden's excellent web page.

I'm not entirely happy with the way breadcrumbs appear on a mobile phone. Is there a way to hide breadcrumbs for this output? I'm using RoboHelp 2015, so I achieved breadcrumbs by adding a placeholder to the Master Page as directed in these forums.

Thanks!

Joe C.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You say you used Master Pages to get the breadcrumbs in there, right?

Where exactly did you add the Breadcrumbs in the Master Page? If you added them in what I call the "no man's land" area. (the area that isn't the Header placeholder or the Body placeholder but in that gap between) you should just be able to remove the breadcrumb placeholder in the master page and that should be sufficient to remove them from all associated topics.

tmp2.png

But if you added the Breadcrumb placeholder inside the Body placeholder, you are now faced with visiting each topic created to remove the breadcrumbs. If you aren't sure about just wholesale deleting them, you could create a Conditional Build Tag, then use a Conditional Build Expression to exclude them from output.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick! I should've been more clear about my question; sorry about that. I'm using Responsive HTML5. What I'm looking to do is keep the breadcrumbs if viewing the help on a desktop or tablet, but hide the breadcrumbs if viewing on a mobile device. I know that this is actually dependent on screen size and not the device itself (I can view in "mobile" mode by simply shrinking the browser window), so I'm wondering if there is a way to edit the CSS to accomplish this?  Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think you need to get in contact with @Willam van Weelden on monkeying around in the innards of a layout ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I may have sorted it.

Let's see if these steps help you sort what you want.

Double-click the Breadcrumbs placeholder, then ensure the option for "Use Style from Topic" is enabled.

bc1.png

Click the OK button to dismiss.

Now find your CSS file in the Project Manager pod and double-click it.

When you edit the CSS, you have a thing called "Media Queries" that may be used.

KTA3.png

Expand the Paragraph section and click to select the Breadcrumbs option.

Click the Media button and choose Phone. Configure Transparent for the font.

bc7.png

Generate the Responsive layout and test.

Let us know if that solved the issue.

Cheers... Rick

*NOTE: I amended these steps from the first iteration to simplify things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*NOTE: I amended the earlier steps from the first iteration in an effort to remove some steps and simplify things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if this solved your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for the delay, Rick...got pulled in a different direction the past couple days.

Thank you for this! Pretty slick; I am going to give it a shot this week -- hopefully tomorrow.  My only concern here would be spacing, as using this method I assume RH will still output the text (albeit transparently) and space the topic accordingly. So, even without the breadcrumbs, I predict I will have some extra white space in the header.

I'll report back tomorrow morning EST!

Thanks again,

Joe C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp