Home page search stopped working

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Robohelp 2019 Release 11
  • Windows 10
  • Frameless Skin

The search on my project's home page has stopped working. The topic search works as expected. I have cross-referenced my skin with a newly created frameless skin and cannot see anything out of the ordinary that would stop the h

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any impact if you try different browsers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it by recreating the skin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news! We're having trouble with the search, too - starting after Update 11.

What does "recreating" mean here exactly? Do I have to start a new skin and make all the changes again, or is it enough to duplicate the skin and change something so the file is "new"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried both and failed with both. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The homepage search function is not working on my frameless project. Search results display but the links are not working. Did you recreate the skin from scratch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a new project and generated that with a frameless skin. Search on home page worked OK.

I also tested the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project, that too worked OK.

In both cases I selected the skin clicking the Find icon alongside the skin dropdown.

I generated to a local drive.

Is that what those still with the problem have done already?

Bedtime here but I'll look back in the morning.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is necessary to build a current project completely new from scratch, includiing all skin adjustments, to make the search work again, that would be a disaster for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works in a new project and we can rule out the skin somehow, a rebuild might not be as difficult as you think in 2019. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, 

I always appreciate your great help and support here for us RoboHelp enthusiasts.

But what do you mean by "coming to that bridge"? We already crossed it weeks ago, having a project consisting of about 100 topics online for customers worldwide.

If the search function suddenly breaks after another update, there must be a reason. And a smarter workaround than "rebuild your project from scratch".

You might say: "Why did you update your RoboHelp installation before testing all functions?". There were some bugs and bad behaviour in the Update 10 output, like the cluttered indentation in the right panel, so we didn't hesitate to repair those flaws as soon as possible. And since there's no easy way to downgrade to 14.0.10 again, where the search function worked properly with our data, we just have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea (in Germany we say: "choose between Pest and Cholera" - unfortunate choice of words right now on the brink of the covid-19 pandemia...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll explain more later but you can download Update 10. Search something like RoboHelp Downloads. I can provide proper link later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what do you mean by "coming to that bridge"? We already crossed it weeks ago, having a project consisting of about 100 topics online for customers worldwide.

I simply meant if whatever you or I can come up with doesn't work.

If the search function suddenly breaks after another update, there must be a reason. And a smarter workaround than "rebuild your project from scratch".

Yes there has to be a reason but we need to determine whether it is down to RoboHelp or something that wasn't right in the project but pre Update 10 wasn't an issue. Do not read that as saying your project is the problem, simply we need to eliminate that.

You might say: "Why did you update your RoboHelp installation before testing all functions?". There were some bugs and bad behaviour in the Update 10 output, like the cluttered indentation in the right panel, so we didn't hesitate to repair those flaws as soon as possible.

No I wouldn't say that as you shouldn't be expected to. When you say "we" do you mean you or Adobe? I couldn't say that as I am not Adobe.

And since there's no easy way to downgrade to 14.0.10 again, where the search function worked properly with our data, we just have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea

You can downgrade with some care. Read on.

First things first. Have you tried generating from the supplied RoboHelp Reimagined sampe project to see if that has the same issue? Similarly have you tried creating a new project with just a couple of topics to see if that has the same issue?

If they do not, then that rather points to something in your project that needs looking into. Answer those questions first please and we can take it from there. 

As to going back to Update 10, after you have tried the above with Update 11 installed, create a copy of your project. I have no way of knowing what the upgrade has done so we need to be able to be able to stick with Update 11 if downgrading has its own issue.

Then uninstall RoboHelp and follow this link. There you can download any of the Updates and install them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Friday, I tried some of your hints and got lucky with these:

- new project out of the RoboHelpReimagened template and a fresh skin: the search works properly

- new project with a few of our own topics and a fresh skin: the search works properly

- new project with a few of our own topics and our own skin: the search works properly

So, now it's up to us to find the topic that crashes the search function. Will take some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried upgrading an update 9 and update 10 project to Update 11 having frameless Orange skin. When I am genertaing frameless output from Update 11, search is working on homepage. Are there any specific steps to reproduce this issue?

Please share a sample project with us where this issue is happening (sumahesh@adobe.com).

Which browser are you viewing your output in? I tried with Chrome Verson 80.0.3987.122.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Surbhi,

thanks for trying that. I'm sorry I can't give the real company data to anyone else.

Regarding browser versions: we're working with Chrome Version 79.0.3945.117 and also tried with Firefox 68.4.1 and even with Edge 44.17763.831.0 and Safari 13 on iOS and macOS. Let assume it's not a browser problem.

But what's interesting: when generating a new output, the search seem to work half ways for a first attempt. That crashes the function so other search attempts stuck after typing in a search string, with the propositions still working. The search script is obviously not starting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can we have a screenshare call where you can show this issue? I will send you a meeting invite in mail/message(forum).

It will be easier to debug as we are not able to reproduce this issue at our end.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having an issue with the Homepage search function using Frameless output. I have version 11 installed and am on Chrome Version 80.0.3987.122. The issue I'm having is that the Search will generate results, but the links don't work. This is a key part of a large deliverable, so I really need a solution. 

frameless_search.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How did you solve the issue?

Were you able to find out what was causing it in the first place?  Kindly share more information as that will help us in resolving it for everyone.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@g-br Just in case you hadn't spotted it, Surbhi is an Adobe employee and you would be sending it direct to her.

Just as a thought, if you copied the project and then trashed all the content except a few topics, you could see if it still had the same problem and send that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did spot it, but that doesn't help in any way. I would have to ask our legal department for that, and until they come back with a permit the problem is already solved in any other way.

For the copy-and-trash approach I will take some time today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

j3p0 Please share how you resolved it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@g_br Hopefully when you have tracked down the gremlin, it will be something you can share. Was it suggested anywhere here that you try deleting what is in the .rh folder from a copy of the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for cheering us up.

Deleting the cache didn't solve the problem, just tried it with a project copy as recommended. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial accomplished - and the search function-or-failure seems to be related to the count of matches for the specific key string!

What we did and why we think that's it:

First of all. we were ruling out a bug in the search function in general by changing the skin and output preset, producing output out of a fresh project containing just a minimum amount of content, and running a project from the "RoboHelp reimagined" template. Those attempts all worked out fine, presenting a fully functional search.

Then we cut our current company project (>120 active topics with all kinds of content) into smaller pieces to find the gremlin that eats our searches, as Peter Grainge put it. In addition, we unselected all higher search functions. That worked out fine, too: search works okay if running through a smaller portion of content. 

Next step was to add more of the portions, generate output and see which amount of content crashes the search. 

Unluckily, it's obviously not the amount of content but the matches for the search string what breaks the search function while executing the search.

E.g., we searched for "Windows" and "Linux" in our programming-related content. For "Windows", the whole content (not just the output topics) contains 20 matches according to the RoboHelp search in code, with 18 of them appearing in our current output set. The search execution was somewhat slow but working.

"Linux" has 61 matches, and the search execution breaks while searching for that string in the output via the JavaScript function. Some other slightly generic text strings resulting in about 100 matches don't work while searches for rare matches do. The threshold seems to be near 25-30 matches despite what the output preset settings for "Number of results on a page" are. Raising this number makes no difference in the outcome, and keeping it at the default "20" doesn't help.

Another phenomenon we found is that strings only present in our start topic (which is a usual topic, not the tile homepage) can't be found at all. Is it excluded from the search? And if this is the case - why should that be a good idea? In some lengthy topics the full-text search is a nice feature for users to jump to the section they are interested in, even if the key string doesn't show in a headline in the right panel.

Right now, we decided to ignore these bugs and hope users will be clever enough to changes the search string to be more specific. I'll set up a bug in the Adobe tracker, hoping the great guys at the Adobe TCS team will fix this in Update 12. 

Bug report for this: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-6709

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp