• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How are you handling GDPR req. for your online help?

Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told just yesterday that I need to add a script to every online helpset that requires users to accept (or not) that the help uses cookies. I would think that the standard browser cookie functionality should be sufficient. Anyway, I added a "cookie consent" script between the <head></head> tags in the Topic.slp file for every single helpset that we have made available online. (That's for Responsive HTML.) I need to do the same to all of my older help files that used WebHelp or HTML5 help.

Is this long, tedious process really necessary? Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Karla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday? The day before GDPR goes into effect?? Talk about a rush deadline! According to a quick Google, consent for cookies all depends on what you're using them for - some don't require any consent at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my thinking, too! I have about 90 different help projects. I want to just delete (or hide) the old ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, my boss ran the OneTrust cookie scanner dealio and found a bunch of files like "rhandsearch" which I know are scripts that RH uses to make/display the help, but it sets off alarms. Does anyone know if Adobe will be addressing the GDPR stuff regarding cookies/scripts in the help files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's to deal with? JavaScript and GDPR have nothing to do with each other AFAIK & I don't think RH created help files drop cookies for tracking (I could be wrong about that, but I've never seen any sign of it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my thinking, too, but management and their legal team think otherwise. CYA.

Anything that can identify the user, including usernames, IP addresses, and so on, are considered PII and have everything to do with GDPR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All too often I have noticed that with things such as this, management falls prey to what I've coined as "Herd mentality".

Snag_18afdd60.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We are working on this and will share details within in next 2-4 days.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Product Manager - Adobe Tech Comm Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I've reached out to Adobe for some clarification on this thread. Hopefully they will be commenting on it soon with a definitive answer.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please refer to the following technote with details on how to disable cookies and impact of the same with Responsive HTML5

https://helpx.adobe.com/tech-comm-suite/kb/create-gdpr-compliant-output-framemaker-robohelp.html

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have added some notes about this in Using RoboHelp 2017 Item 15 on my site. The fix is also for RoboHelp 2015.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp