• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I see drop-down titles on output and drop-down text on editing?

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see all three drop-down titles on output, but cannot see the drop-down text on editing. I am trying to use list and/or a multi-level list. Jeff helped me to create the three drop-downs that I am able to see on output, however, when I try to edit, I am unable to see the text. The screen capture below is on the edit screen. The edit screen is supposed to display the drop-down text. I do not want to try to edit this in HTML. I have been trying to accomplish this for two days now. Need to get going. Please help.

NoDropDownText.jpg

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

As far as I can see in my testing, the only thing you are doing wrong is not double clicking the dropdown on reopening the topic.

The idea is that in the editor you see a reasonably close idea of what the user will see initially and, like the user, you can expand the dropdown if you need to.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2019 with output of Responsive HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using the new editor version, not the Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Jeff the new editor version and not the classic.

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, just played around with it - it looks like when you click on the expanding text (like "Device Actions" in your example) a pane opens up on the right side of the screen that sets the properties of the expanding text. Within that pane there's a "Text when Expanded" field that you can enter your content into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Text when expanded text box and it turns out that text box is part of the Drop-down Title and is not the Drop-down Text. The drop down text is available when I first create the drop-down, however, the two are different functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was playing with the wrong thing - you want dropdown text, not expanding text. Yes that seems to be busted in my RH2019.0.5 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Can we put this in as bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go right ahead - Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created what you see below in 2019 (new UI) and it shows the content of each dropdown. Click Preview and it is working as expected.

dropdown.png

What have I missed in this thread?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

It appears you were using a simple bulleted list. I used Multilevel List style and from the screen capture I am unable to see the content of each dropdown. What am I doing wrong?

DropDownMultilevel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Peter, I was working from home yesterday afternoon and it was OK the first time I did it, but once I saved and came down from RoboHelp and powered down, I came in this morning and was unable to see the drop-down text in edit mode, only drop-down titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project with one topic and replicate this issue. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I sent the new zipped up project called DropDown.rhpj via We Transfer as you instructed and am having the same difficulty displaying the edited drop-down text after I save and close and then bring it back up.

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look tomorrow.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see in my testing, the only thing you are doing wrong is not double clicking the dropdown on reopening the topic.

The idea is that in the editor you see a reasonably close idea of what the user will see initially and, like the user, you can expand the dropdown if you need to.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I am learning. Great. You are correct!! This works just the way it was designed.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I put this in as a bug. How do I delete the bug report? I went back out to my bug report and added a comment to delete the bug report. I don't know if that will do the trick.

The bug report in tracker is as follows: RH-3950 with the Title: Unable to edit drop-down text created by Create Drop-down Text function.

Thank you,

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding a comment to tell Adobe to ignore the report will be sufficient.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp