• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent favorites from being removed from user after RH2017 publishes new content?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved favorites are removed everytime I add new topics, generated and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely cause is that you have Cookies set to be cleared every time the browser closes.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what the file name would be for the favorites? I'd like to try to exclude generating that file. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now encountered the same problem in RH 2020.7.46. How does one reverse the setting which clears cookies every time the browser closes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bfreed01  A quick google reveals how in most of the browsers out there - take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a setting in the browser?  Not in RoboHelp?  I've been looking in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Favs are saved by each user in their browser - it's not something you're wiping out each time you generate and push to the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter and Jeff, to clarify, the favorites that are being removed are the ones that the users save within the RH generated website, not favorites in a browser. Any thoughts as to what causes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the website that RH generates my menu looks like this and the favorites for topics are saved within the website generated by RH. I'm not tallking about favorites of entire websites. 

JohnMonzi_0-1654705315495.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need to go back to what output you are creating - because for any HTML form of help (Classic webhelp or Responsive HTML5) favs/bookmarks are stored in each user's browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using the Responsive HTML5 skin and the favorites saved within my generated site get removed for every user everytime I generate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohnMonzi_0-1654705851684.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which responsive skin are you using?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsive HTML5 skin with desktop/tablet/phone option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but which responsive skin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you getting the output to where the users access it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a modifed version of the Charcoal Gray and I have the generated content produced onto a url within my company

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK re the skin. Yes I know you are getting the output to a folder somewhere on your company's webserver but how?

Do you generate direct to it, do you use RoboHelp's publish feature or some other means of getting the output to the server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q: Yes I know you are getting the output to a folder somewhere on your company's webserver but how?

Ans: I copy and paste the generated output file from RH onto my designated department drive that has the url for the website.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try an experiment - set some favs from some other terminal (other than yours), then publish into that location instead of generating locally & copying the output over. See if the favs survive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try creating some favourites in RoboHelp and then delete the browser favourites. That will establish where the favourites are being stored, in the browser or in RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction

I have had confirmation from Adobe that the favourites use local storage, not cookies. They might get deleted by RoboHelp if a specific update contains a change to this functionality but 2017 has not been updated for a long time.

It is still worth trying @Jeff_Coatsworth suggestion. I think he meant publish into the usual location as it is on a server for everyone to access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp Favourites should not get deleted when you generate an update.

They will not be shown if you view in incognito mode or in a different browser. They will be deleted if you delete cookies in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have unmarked what you marked as a Correct Answer. A question cannot be an answer.

I have nothing to add to the thread so I think you will need to go to Adobe Support. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth It's not the browser favourites that @bfreed01 is talking about. I thought it was the favourites set up within the output and that were being referred to but I see cookies are mentioned. RoboHelp does not use cookies for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp