• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a link to download files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm creating tutorial documentation (exclusively using the responsive HTML5 output) for a product using RoboHelp and this requires the user to download additional files. However I can find no way to "bundle" these files with the RoboHelp output so that the user can click on a link and download them. It seems like I can only add very specific file types to the assets folder from within RoboHelp, and when I manually add the files I require - while they do appear in the Contents list - any links to them in the HTML don't work and on inspecting the output files, it appears that these assets are not being included when the responsive HTML is being generated. Is it at all possible to have the files included with the HTML assets and have the user download them? Or am I going to have to simply host them externally and then link to them that way (which I'd like to avoid if possible).

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you can add any file type to Assets or Contents as they are just mirroring what you would see in File Explorer. What types can't you import and what is stopping you? If you are looking at what is listed in the dropdown, there is a *.* option.

If you add a link in a topic to say a zip file, that should be sufficient for the zip file to be included in the output. Without knowing what is not making it to the output, I can't try it here. You could add the file to the TOC and then select the Hide in Output option. That makes sure the file is uploaded but the user does not see it listed in the TOC. That is the equivalent of a Baggage file in older versions of RoboHelp. It's described in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project that ships with RoboHelp. Also in the RoboHelp Tour on my site.

You should not have to upload to a separate server.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. The file format I am trying to include is a *.YYZ file and while I can add it to the contents using the *.* option (or by simply copying it into the contents/assets folder in explorer), it's not being added to the output. I'll go ahead and try what you suggest about adding it to the ToC and then let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so, when I try to follow the guide you have, it says to use the Insert Pages > Local Files option to add "baggage" files, however, RoboHelp limits the file types that I can include, and it does not have a *.* option in this section (note that I'm using RoboHelp 2019 Update 11). If I don't use the explorer to add the file, and instead supply the path itself directly, then it appears to be added to the ToC, however the RMB > Properties window has no option to "Hide" this file. Am I looking in the wrong place for this option?

The GOOD new is that when I generate the HTML output and click on the ToC entry for the file, it is being downloaded, so I'm halfway to resolviong the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I need to link to an .xsd file for download. It works fine in the TOC as suggested but I nee the link to be in a topic. Can this be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is in the thread. Select the link text and drag the xsd to it. 

It will create the link but I'm not sure how the browser will handle.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the link, but it does not download it just opens a new blank window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My initial thought was it's a browser issue but you say it's fine in the TOC. I assume you mean it downloads from there.

Perhaps change the extension to txt and add a note to change it after downloading? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp