Exit

How to add keywords to PDF topic ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've got about 300 pdf files, each of about 500 pages

I want to create something like html help from these pdf files.

I added some pdf files, as topics. So it looks good. I can navigate in left panel and look for my pdf, that opens in new window.

I don't need to use search inside these pdf's, but i want to manually create search keywords. So when i enter my keyword, i wooul like to see pdf file in search results.

I can add search keyword to html topic. But how to add seach keyword to pdf file (that is in TOC)?

Regards,

Anatoly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

I'm not aware of any way to add keywords to a pdf file within Robohelp. The best I could suggest would be to place the link to the pdf in a topic which you could add keywords to, and add the topic to the TOC instead. That would add an extra click to open the pdf though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any way to add keywords to a pdf file within Robohelp. The best I could suggest would be to place the link to the pdf in a topic which you could add keywords to, and add the topic to the TOC instead. That would add an extra click to open the pdf though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already gone down this path! It works, but it's not really convenient...

I think that's the only way... 

Regards,

Anatoly

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did a quick test by adding meta data to a PDF itself - it seems that RH search only indexes PDFs by the file name.  Creating a topic with a link to the PDF (what Amebr suggested) would probably be your best bet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other question:

Is it possible to add keywords to hyperlink in topic? 4 example i want to get in the search results links to topics in PDF by my (manually setted) keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an answer to your question but a possible work around.  I have around 500+ PDFs on my site.  To help with indexing, i created landing page topics for each with a summary of the doc and keywords so it will show up in search results for the web ouput. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank's! I went this way.

I've created a topic, which contains something like TableOfContents for pdf. 

Each line in TOC - is a hyperlink to pdf page.

In the heading i've put summary of pdf. So search results looks good.

I think - that's the only solution.

But if pdf contains more than 500 pages, and >200 lines in TOC, it's difficult to enter keywords for each.

So I imagined results of search with position in TOC (hyperlink in my topic) and keywords to this TOC position.

)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp