Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reuse text that is almost identical

Participant ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 2020.5.71.

I have many situations where I want to use a snippet but there is just one word that needs to be different from one case to another. For example, let's say I have two topics and I want one to say "Four score and seven years ago" and the other to say "Four score and seven days ago". Is there are way to insert a variable into the snippet so it is "Four score and seven {UNITS} ago"? And then in topic #1 I set the variable value to be "years" and topic #2, set the variable value to be "days"? I know this is asking a lot, but thought I would check. My real snippet is much more complex, containing graphics and multiple occurances of {UNITS}.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there's no way to do that in Robohelp. Variables are only designed to be different for different outputs.

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the item number back here, that way people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a feature request: RH-9619. If you want this feature too, please vote for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not have to change the text of the snippet after using it, you could for the time being try this: add the snippet to your topic, right click - Snippet - convert to text. Then you can enter the desired unit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Karin, yeah I could do that, but I would prefer a solution that forces all occurances to be in sync with each other. That's the whole reason I wanted to use a snippet in the first place.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp