• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up SEO-friendly URLs for a Frameless output?

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to change the usual URLs based on the folder structure of a RH project (looking like "https://domain.tld/folder/subordinatefolder/someotherfolder/topic-file-name.htm") into a SEO-friendly string like "https://domain.tld/generaltopic/special-topic-name" ?

Is that done manually in the Google Search Console, or with editing redirects into the sitemap.xml after generating the output? That would be an exhaustive approach.

Any ideas here how to do that in the ToC the output is based on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't recall anyone doing that - what's so SEO-unfriendly about the topic path as is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering so quickly.

The bad thing with URLs depending on RH project folders is that you can't change how you store your stuff in the project without breaking things for users that have saved some of the frequently used topics as browser favorites - let alone all the deep links out there on the webs.

In the "Incoming URLs" section of Google Search Console for our domains we see hundreds of deep links to specific topics in our Frameless output. After restructuring content, we can "repair" some of them but most are set up by unknown folks. 

Having those SEO-friendly URLs redirecting to the real thing in the folder structure would help a lot: Search engines get their sematic input, users will get what the URL provides, and we could shorten the folder and file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, I see - I don't change much after the fact, so I've never run into something like that. I suspect you'd have to build a table? page? of redirects to intercept that sort of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp