Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML Responsive - customising the landing page

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is there a way (adding a DIV maybe?) to add some additional information on a frameless HTML responsive layout like Indigo. What I'd like is to add some standard text and maybe embed a video for people when they hit the landing page, instead of having them have to click through to something. I've attached a graphic to show you what I'm thinking.

It's a merged project, so the links to the sub-projects are displayed (e.g. eStart, Portals). Ideally I'd keep those intact, but I'd consider replacing those if I could configure the master project to display a topic with the information I wanted in their place.

You can look at the live project here:

One Help Demo Nested

I was thinking that maybe I could get the content of the Welcome page to display on the main landing page, but no such luck. Any help, appreciated.

robohelp_landing.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using the same layout you are but I have two thoughts:

With RoboHelp closed and a backup of your project, I'd search the code in my project directory for the text "What can we help you with today" and see if I could figure out where to add the text. I would use Dreamweaver to do this because I have it set up as my default HTML editor. That said, it the comments in that file tells me that RoboHelp generates the file as part of each compile process, I would immediately know that any changes I would make would be overwritten the next time I compiled. I would be in danger of entering a hamster wheel of 'compile, make changes to that file, replace the generated file with the changed file' and because I have enough hamster wheels in my life, I would find the place where the text "What can we help you with today" is set within the RoboHelp UI and see what I could do there. 

Let me know what file stores that text and if it is one that RoboHelp generates and I can offer additional thoughts.

Paul Hanson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain the search for that text will do the trick. I say this because I believe that actual phrase is stored in the LNG file. So likely a placeholder of some sort actually exists that is then replaced with the LNG text. According to the LNG file, it is known as:

Welcome_text=What can we help you with today?

perlhorbor.jpg

I looked at the layout in RoboHelp. (Output Setup pod > Indigo > Homepage) and I think this is where you will need to modify things.

I note that if I search the page I find a div with Welcome in it.

tmp1.png

I copied it and pasted and made a slight modification.

tmp2.png

I then saved it all and generated and here is the result:

tmp3.png

So it would appear you ARE able to influence it. But you will need to do some experimenting as well as tweaking the CSS in order to center things and whatnot.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Rick. I'll have a look and see what I can come up with. Just, out of curiosity, do you listen to the No Agenda podcast? If you do, you'll know why I asked. If you don't, you should

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, okay. I'll bite. I clicked the link and I see that it is a page with no image header and an embedded audio file at the top of the page.

tmp2.png

So I'm guessing that you are wanting to kind of emulate that by having your own media file at the top of your RoboHelp output?

Although I generally avoid podcasts, I'm listening at the moment to see what this one is all about.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you had a good listen Your use of "nyet, nyet, nyet" just reminded me of a clip the hosts use of Rosie Odonnell shouting "nyet, nyet, nyet". Just seemed like too much of a coincidence to me.

Anyhow, I hadn't really thought about it related to the No Agenda webpage, but yes, we might want to include our own media file at the top of the output. Fiddling with CSS and such things is one of the few highlights of my job, so that is promising.

However, as a more general question, is RoboHelp happy with me editing the LNG file (assuming all JS or CSS is valid)? And more importantly, and not necessarily LNG specific, is RoboHelp happy for me to copy a modified LNG file to other projects that require the same customisations?

We will have many individual projects that would require the same customisation as well as the same tags and conditional build expressions and the same dynamic content filters. However, it seems that with Robohelp, things like SSL outputs and tags and conditional build expressions need to be manually copied (or via a script in Windows Explorer)  across projects (tags and variables for example can't be shared via Resource Manager). My small scale testing indicates that this is possible and works fine, but I'm just worried about breaking projects. Do you have any experience in that area?

Again, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Recycling LNG files - yes, but be prepared to have to re-edit it again in a newer version - every once in awhile Adobe changes things and a previous version's LNG file now breaks the project. In that scenario (which I think I ran into when going from RH9 to RH11) I just re-did my work in the new version of RH (I had kept notes of what verbiage I had changed). I'm now doing the same recycle act on the .SYN file too so I don't have to keep typing in the same list of synonyms each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp