• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import PDF Documents into RoboHelp

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to import a PDF file (I've tested with several different files and none of them are protected); however, when I select "Create new topic(s) based on style(s)", I receive the error message, "Due to the complex formatting of the selected PDF file, you must choose the option to "Convert as absolutely positioned HTML."

I then attempted to import it with the option "Create new topic for each PDF page" - "Convert as absolutely positioned HTML" and I receive a "Failed to Convert" error message. I've attempted all of the conversion options, but continue to receive error messages.

Guidance on how to successfully import a PDF file into my RoboHelp project would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Nikki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

As you have seen, sometimes the manner in which a PDF has been created doesn't lend itself to easily importing into RoboHelp.

As with anything import-wise, I always admonish my class participants that a decision needs to be made regarding the content you want. You need to answer the following questons:

• Do I want to simply import and afterwards forget that the file I'm importing ever existed as (PDF, Word, Whatever) and from here forward, I will only ever make updates to content using RoboHelp?

• Do I want to simply present a PDF leaving it as PDF and not converting to a RoboHelp topic.

• Do I want to continue making edits using Word or whatever and have RoboHelp pull in the changes?

The way you answer these questions will determine the way you need to work with the content. For example, often you simply want to present a PDF and you really don't care to edit the content later, just add the PDF as a Baggage File and link to it. If it changes later, simply replace the existing file with the new one and all will be well.

Hopefully this was helpful... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not answer the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@albertt78389730  The original poster didn't come back with what they were trying to do, so it went nowhere; what are you trying to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import a FrameMaker file into Robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@albertt78389730 The post was nine years ago so the answer would be different in the current version. When you respond to @Jeff_Coatsworth include the version of RoboHelp that you are using.

This topic may help with 2020. RH2020 PDF Output (grainge.org)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want to output a pdf. I want to import a pdf because importing a FrameMaker file is a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@albertt78389730 - I thought you had resolved the FM to RH import problem over in this thread - https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/can-not-import-framemaker-version-16-0-3-979-fil...
If you haven't, then I would suggest continuing with that thread and see what's happening with that process. Peter's site doesn't address the import of a PDF into RH (as far as I can see) but it would probably be more of a mess I suspect (unless you went the FM > PDF > Word > RH route - maybe?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, brain in back to front today. Look in the TOC under Authoring. It's covered there. Then come back with specifics.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cover the Word import in detail and it is substantially the same process to the best of my knowledge. Happy to be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp