• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported embed code (from Viddler) rewritten in output.

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are trying to embed videos that are stored in our Viddler account into Help topics.

The correct code, as directly copied from Viddler is:

src=”//www.viddler…

But, when you paste this code into RoboHelp (in HTML editor) , RoboHelp adds “file:”

src=”file://www.viddler...

Is there a way to prevent this?

Also, and separately, RoboHelp is stripping special characters and replacing them in the URL string - for example, “&” is replaced with “&” .

As a result, none of the embed links work. When pasted directly into a browser, these same links work fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this blog post helps - https://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2014/11/26/adobe-robohelp-embed-youtube-video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - we do know we can add http / https to the code - that's the more minor aspect of the problem - the bigger part is the code changes for the special characters in the URL. When we publish, the code is overwritten and my teammate has been having to go out to the output on our web server and edit the code there, every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH are you doing this in? I know there are some times when RH "helpfully" re-writes your HTML code for you, but I thought there was a way around that by not flipping back to the editor or something. What happens if you use the RH UI to add a hyperlink to the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurin

How exactly are you adding the link? Are you saying that if you select some text, right click and select Insert Hyperlink, the link you add in the dialog then gets rewritten?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter! Nice to hear from you!

I have tried several methods, and may be getting closer to the solution.

I initially tried simply copying the embed code from within Viddler, and pasting it into the topic in the RH HTML Editor view. Also did try inserting the video as a multimedia item, matching the settings in the embed code to options in the Insert dialog as closely as possible.

But then, and don't ask me why I hadn't thought of it sooner, I tried to open the published topic in Internet Explorer rather than in Chrome, and the darn thing worked perfectly with the embed code link. So now we focus on why Chrome is being such a poopiehead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK but have you tried the simple method I suggested. Type something like

Click Here in the editor and then right click to Insert Hyperlink and paste

the copied link there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp