We are trying to embed videos that are stored in our Viddler account into Help topics.
The correct code, as directly copied from Viddler is:
But, when you paste this code into RoboHelp (in HTML editor) , RoboHelp adds “file:”
Is there a way to prevent this?
Also, and separately, RoboHelp is stripping special characters and replacing them in the URL string - for example, “&” is replaced with “&” .
As a result, none of the embed links work. When pasted directly into a browser, these same links work fine.
Copy link to clipboard
See if this blog post helps - https://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2014/11/26/adobe-robohelp-embed-youtube-video
Thanks - we do know we can add http / https to the code - that's the more minor aspect of the problem - the bigger part is the code changes for the special characters in the URL. When we publish, the code is overwritten and my teammate has been having to go out to the output on our web server and edit the code there, every time.
What version of RH are you doing this in? I know there are some times when RH "helpfully" re-writes your HTML code for you, but I thought there was a way around that by not flipping back to the editor or something. What happens if you use the RH UI to add a hyperlink to the video?
How exactly are you adding the link? Are you saying that if you select some text, right click and select Insert Hyperlink, the link you add in the dialog then gets rewritten?
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
Hi Peter! Nice to hear from you!
I have tried several methods, and may be getting closer to the solution.
I initially tried simply copying the embed code from within Viddler, and pasting it into the topic in the RH HTML Editor view. Also did try inserting the video as a multimedia item, matching the settings in the embed code to options in the Insert dialog as closely as possible.
But then, and don't ask me why I hadn't thought of it sooner, I tried to open the published topic in Internet Explorer rather than in Chrome, and the darn thing worked perfectly with the embed code link. So now we focus on why Chrome is being such a poopiehead!
OK but have you tried the simple method I suggested. Type something like
Click Here in the editor and then right click to Insert Hyperlink and paste
the copied link there.