Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing FM bullets to Robohelp while preserving source style

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI All, 

I have FM files that I want to migrate to HTML5 (either via the Robohelp or simply to Publish>HTML5).

Most of my settings are fine. 

My problem is with the bulleted text. Since I use the numbering option from the Para Style defs to define my bullets, my bulleted paras (I have 3 to 4 levels of them with various Zapf Dingbats or Wingdig characters) don't come out right. 

I suppose I could change them using a dedicated CSS.

But, since we are now investigating the roundtrip option (where SMEs/Engineers can update the HTML), how can I accomplish this without distorting my source files? 

(I supposed Publish>HTML5 without Robohelp will not allow me to accomplish roundtripping.)

I'd appreciate any ideas you all may have.

Thanks, 

Orly

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry no one had responded to your post - we suspect there's something flakey going on with the Forum notifications again.
Anyways - I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Are you taking your content out of FM and moving it all to author in RH? (that's fine - it's a one-time import and maybe some tweaking to get it all over cleanly with the style mappings). Your bulleting would probably come over as an HTML list and then you could apply a multi-level list style to it in RH. Appearance is controlled by the css as you note.
However, I don't get what you mean by roundtripping - once you produce output, you can't mess with it and be able to have those changes appear in the source files (in either RH or FM) without making the same changes in the source files manually. Creating output is mostly a one-way street (I say mostly because review PDFs in FM do allow for changes to get back into your FM files - I can't recall if RH ever added that function).
If your SMEs/engineers need to be able to make changes to the content, then you need to be using some sort of source control or move to a docs-as-code structure with another toolchain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jeff, 

I didn't get any responses so far, except for yours. 

I was under the impression that I could import FM into RH. Once having stabalized this, I thought that making changes in RH would be reflected in the FM files, if the said FM files are linked. However, now I realize, this will not help with the HTML aspect, i.e. each SME/engineer would need either RH as well. 

Thanks for responding 🙂 Have a great day!

Orly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, the FM to RH pathways are always a one-way street. Importing is a one-off thing; linking means that changes in the FM source content are reflected in the RH project that it's linked to - never goes the other way (RH to FM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp