• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word doc to RH 2020 - where oh where are my character styles?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we are doing a trial of RH 2020 (we've been using 2019 for a couple of years and have recovered from the shock, mostly). When testing an import from Word to RH, everything works as expected EXCEPT the character styles and in-line formatting, which appear to be completely ignored. One problem is that the only available character style that RH seems to detect is "span." 

What I've tried, with no success:

• Formatted content both in-line and using a character style in Word.
  • Used the template organizer in Word to confirm that my character style does, in fact, exist in the template that is attached to my doc.
  • Saved the Word document as a template, and then applied the template to the same document (this was a Hail Mary, and it failed).
  • Tried to import a couple of different docs.
  • Checked Mr. Grainge's site.
  • Read the RH User Guide.
  • Wine.

Thanks very much for any light you can shine on this issue. Here's an infographic!

WtoRHformatissue.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of RH2020 are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it's taken so long to reply - minor surgical procedure took longer to recover from than anticipated! Thanks for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, so it looks like it's ignoring that "Import inline styles" flag (use of which is generally not a best practice, but nevermind). If you can wait for patch 4 in a couple of weeks, that might be fixed, otherwise file a bug in the Tracker (https://tracker.adobe.com/) now & see if it's already been addressed in patch 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also notice that import also applied the "margin-bottom: .001 pt" tag to the text in AHawley's info graphic?

It doesn't seem likely that this was coming from the original template style. 

Where does it come from? 

From my own experience that spacing was added to the .css created during the Word import. The .css was applied to all the resulting topics and caused bad spacing when I exported to Word. 

Was this also addressed in the planned release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Days rather than weeks.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AHawley 

You have failed to offer up any chickens! Please try all options before coming to the forum. 🙂 

Create a simple Word document and include the bits that are failing for you. In the document as well as including some bold text, italics and whatever, add a paragraph saying those items in the next paragraph will fail. After checking they do fail, send me the document. See the Contact page on my site and in this case just attach the document to the email.

I'll see what I can come up with. 

@MaryEAD 

Apply Update 4 and see how you get on. It has out for a couple of weeks. Usually margins are because of the styles applied in Word and should be lost if you map to the right styles in RoboHelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Update 4 styling such as Bold or Italic applied from the toolbar in Word does import in Update 4 if Use Inline Styles is selected. If Word's Strong character style has been applied, that will show in Character styles in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp