• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In HTML Help, how to link to remote topic (a topic in another .chm file) (RoboHelp 2020)

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp 9 to create HTML Help. I am using a trial copy of RoboHelp 2020.7.47 to see if  I can upgrade and still do all the things I can do in v9. One thing I do often is create links to topics in another .chm file (a "remote" topic). In v9, this was very simple. The Hyperlink window allowed me to select Remote Topic:

BVS370_0-1651328444697.png

How do I do the eqivalent in v2020?

I have another, related question. I thought one way I might be able to do the above would be to include a Child .chm file in my TOC. I'd rather not do it this way, but I gave it a try. So, in my TOC, I did this:

BVS370_1-1651329092738.png

After I browsed to another .chm file, an entry for the file showed up in my TOC. However, the entry is totally useless. When I generate HTLM Help, the entry is omitted from the TOC in the output. And, I see no way to create links to the topics in the Child .chm file. Does this work differently for anyone else? Is this entry useless for me because I am using a trial version of v2020?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

We combine projects by inserting Child HTML Help chm's into a master chm's TOC.  Getting it to work with mapping to allow our software to switch between chm topics is a huge workaround.   It has always been a workaround.   We started with RoboHelp 8 or 9.  We are now using 2020.8.34.

dancurran_1-1681160832027.png

By trial and error we found the following method works for hyperlinking to a topic in a different .chm.

Browse to the .chm that includes the desired topic in the Link to dialog, select the .chm, and then edit whatever

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

@BVS370 As you are changing, go frameless rather than responsive HTML5. It's where future development will be. 

@Amebr The post said full path and a CHM would be local was my thinking. Can you make it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing the option to link to a Child HTML Help topic and I wonder if the version is the issue. The latest released version is 2020.7.46 but you have 47. 

In 2020.7.46 there is no obvious way and I am looking into that.

If CHMs are your only output, they haven't changed in how they work since 2004 so I'm wondering what is your motivation for upgrading? RoboHelp 2020 is a subscription whereas RoboHelp 9 is costing you nothing. If you are wanting to change your output type, then you would need to upgrade.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I had forgotten was that to create CHM links you have to enable a project setting. With that done I see the option you have shown and have shown to Adobe that it does not work.

Please report this as a bug. Follow this link to report bugs or request new features. https://tracker.adobe.com. Post the link to your bug report / feature request in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Please check the build though as it should be 2020.7.46. 2020.7.47 is not a released version.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that linking to a specific topic is not possible in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your research and replies. It's really great of you
to do this, and it is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but do log that bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We combine projects by inserting Child HTML Help chm's into a master chm's TOC.  Getting it to work with mapping to allow our software to switch between chm topics is a huge workaround.   It has always been a workaround.   We started with RoboHelp 8 or 9.  We are now using 2020.8.34.

dancurran_1-1681160832027.png

By trial and error we found the following method works for hyperlinking to a topic in a different .chm.

Browse to the .chm that includes the desired topic in the Link to dialog, select the .chm, and then edit whatever incorrect information is defaulted in, to include only XXXX.chm::TOPIC.htm as shown below.

dancurran_0-1681160632340.png

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Thanks for your input. We have decided to move away from .chm files
completely and use frameless HTML output. We can do everything we want to
do in that format.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dancurran Nice solution and I will take this up with Adobe. It doesn't look as if it should be difficult for them to add the XXXX.chm:: prefix.

CORRECTION. It's not as simple as adding a prefix. You have to insert XXXX.chm:: and then the full path to the topic inside the CHM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this every which way but blue... Even with the method you propose, it is hit or miss as to working reliably. Another thing is that I made a button page with image hyperlinks to other CHM files. Have had this work from a dozen versions ago. I updated my files in this new RH and now I can get one to work but not all of the images with hyperlinks and then they all of sudden stop working. Other text hyperlinks seem to be working fine to internally located files and locations. 

Win 10, RH2022.2.22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dancurran Is this still working for you? I have had a couple of goes at it and not made it work. With both CHMs in the same folder, I created this link.

<a href="Target.CHM::D:/00_Test_Projects/Outputs/CHM/contents/introduction/introduction.htm">Link to CHM</a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are no longer using .chm files. We have switched completely to web/HTML
help (where it is easy to link to topics in other projects).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I don't think the drive path should be there, just the internal folder structure to the topic inside the chm. I assume "contents" is part of the internal structure but you might need to check that. I also can't remember if the initial slash should be there - I think so but again you might need to experiment.
<a href="Target.CHM::/contents/introduction/introduction.htm">Link to CHM</a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BVS370 As you are changing, go frameless rather than responsive HTML5. It's where future development will be. 

@Amebr The post said full path and a CHM would be local was my thinking. Can you make it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge I'm going back to when we did chms and I'm certain the path was internal to the chm file. Logically it doesn't make sense to include, as that drive letter and path won't exist on the end user's computer. I'll do some searching to see if I can find any references. (probably on the helpware site 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a sub-path example, but in this simple link example you can see that the index.htm part doesn't include a drive path in front of it. This means the file is located in the root folder of the chm. If you do have folders within your chm you'd just do that path down from that root folder.

http://kb.helpwaregroup.com/ms-html-help/merge#Simple%20Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some experiments using Peter's Merge sample. In the Child Two project I added a folder and a topic in that folder. Then in the Child Three project I added a link following the instructions provided earlier. I deleted the path stuff, then added the internal chm folder structure to the required topic. Note: the 'contents' folder is not included in the chm internal structure.

<a href="Child_Two.chm::/test_folder/topic_in_subfolder.htm">Link to topic in subfolder</a>

Although doing it this way means the link can't be edited in the Link to dialog box. It reverts to "add a new link" instead.

Amebr_2-1696317066438.png

However using the ms-its: prefix allows you to see the link later:

Amebr_1-1696317041463.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using @Amebr's method, I have created a demo and a PDF of the instructions. It can be found on my site.

https://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#3-12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp