• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In RoboHelp 2020 its it possible to use a Word Template with Macros enabled?

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp version 2020.8.34

When generating a Word output is there a way to select a  .docx with a macro or a .dotm?

Is there a way around the restriction, other than keeping my macros in the Normal template?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Are the macros to tidy up the Word output? I can't check in RH2020, but in RH2019 as far as I can tell a standard Word template is only used to grab styles, and isn't attached to the document that's created (Peter might be able to confirm the behaviour in RH2020) so the macros wouldn't be available anyway, assuming RH2020 works the same way.

What I would do is add the macro template (I wouldn't keep the macros in the Normal template as that template can be wiped out by corporate and Microsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

2020 does not use Word to generate the document so I can't see any way to include macros in the output.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the macros to tidy up the Word output? I can't check in RH2020, but in RH2019 as far as I can tell a standard Word template is only used to grab styles, and isn't attached to the document that's created (Peter might be able to confirm the behaviour in RH2020) so the macros wouldn't be available anyway, assuming RH2020 works the same way.

What I would do is add the macro template (I wouldn't keep the macros in the Normal template as that template can be wiped out by corporate and Microsoft updates, or file corruption) as a global add-in, then just turn it on when I need to use it.

1. If the macros are currently in Normal.dotm move them to a new dotm template (e.g. WordCleanUp.dotm).

2. On the Developer tab of the ribbon, click Document Template.

3. In the Global templates and add-ins section, click Add.

4. Browse to your macro template and OK. The template is added to the list and is selected.

When it's selected you can run the macros in the template on any document you have open. (You may get a macro warning depending on your macro security settings.) When you close all Word instances it will be deselected. It remains in the list but you'll need to select the checkbox when you want to use the macros again; I've added the document template icon to my quick access bar for convenience. 

If the macro is in your startup folder, I think it might remain selected in this list, but I tend not to keep my macro files there, as I don't want them available all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 does not use Word to generate the document so I can't see any way to include macros in the output.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both! 

I do use the macros to clean up Word after I generate a document. Things like, no page numbers on the front matter, no page numbers on a chapter's initial page, and other minor things that I dont think can be done in RH.

In RH2017 I kept the macros in the template I used for doc generation. That way I could automate document generation and macro application, keeping myself out of the loop. Now it seems that this had become a Word matter. 

Thank you again for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp