• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to apply Feedback [helpful /not helpful], Survey or any sort of analytics on RH2019?

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Frameless project, we need to add a section to gather feedback on help topics, and also have insights about the number of visits. Is there any certain code to use here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most sites that provide stats will give you their code to inject inot your topics. Google for example.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Thank you. I was asking if this could be handled within RoboHelp itself as other authoring platforms. If not, are there steps to follow for where to inject the code ..which files and best way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only with RoboHelp Server which has an additional program.

With the external sites the instructions to inject the code and the code itself are on those sites. Each will be different.

Once you have to code, a quick way to inject the code to avoid topic by topic is to find something that is in all topics and do a find and replace.

For example Google Analytics requires its code in the head section. Your find is <head> and your replace is <head> plus Google's code.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try. I hope if anyone in the community has done it before to share their experience too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Google Analytics for my help, as Peter described.

You sign up for a free account, and quote the URL.

Take the code they give you and add it into the  <head> of the relevant topic(s0 or preferably template(s). I use the same template for all topics, so I only had to do it once, whixh gives me the stats for hundreds of topics.

Log into your account to view the latests stats, which you can view all sorts of ways. Lazy option is to click the link in Google's monthly email. 🙂

I've been doing it for over a year, and it's been very useful seeing which topics are actually viewed (in your chose time period): hits and visits, average time spent, country, etc.

Of course that only answers the second half your question: "insights about the number of visits".

I don't use anything more sophisticated than a mailto link to 'gather feedback".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For our Help system, we ended up using a tool our devs use to track analytics in applications: Application Insights (AI). It provides real-time analytics for products. It's probably a bit overkill because it tracks a lot of information, but it was a tool we had available.

To enable it, we put the code snippet AI provides in the header section of the .htt and then applied the .htt to each .htm.

Also, creating custom reports and getting specific data from AI does require some scripting knowledge.

We also have a Send Feedback link that opens up the user's email client and uses a little javascript to include a pathway to the current topic in the email to send to our documentation team along with their questions or comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jared Hess, thank you for this information! To be clear, did you add the Send Feedback link to a master page?

My company would like to add a customer feedback option, or widget, to all of the pages in our RH site, but we also need to get the page ID from where the user sent the feedback so that we know what page they are referring to.

Could you please share the javascript that you used to include a pathway to the current topic?

@Peter Grainge, any thoughts on this as well?

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jared Hess, thank you for this information! To be clear, did you add the Send Feedback link to a master page?

My company would like to add a customer feedback option, or widget, to all of the pages in our RH site, but we also need to get the page ID from where the user sent the feedback so that we know what page they are referring to.

Could you please share the javascript that you used to include a pathway to the current topic?

@Peter Grainge, any thoughts on this as well?

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Scott

By @Scott DeLugan

Hi Scott (@Scott DeLugan),

Here's a simplistic example. This isn't my code exactly as my code pulls in other strings from other files that are localized etc to build the email message, but the crux of it is that to get the link, I'm just using location.href method to get the current URL. So... something like this:

let topicPath = location.href;
console.log(topicPath);

For information on location.href, see https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_loc_href.asp

To create a feedback email on every page of your help, you could accomplish that by calling the javacript file from the header or footer region of a master page--that's essentially what we're doing.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, @Jared Hess! I am going to do some testing using this code. I will let you know the results.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott DeLugan 

For feedback I think Item 5 at Email is your only option. The first item is marked as for Classic Versions Only but looking afresh I think it would work in 2020 for a responsive skin. If not, maybe you could add one of the other options somehow.

In Frameless skins there is a Share option in the skin editor. You can try it on the RoboHelp Tour Introduction (grainge.org),

Clicking that link will open an email in the user's browser with a link to the topic. There it deliberately does not include a link to me. You can configure the email button in the skin to include an address and a subject line. How is covered in the Item 5 snippet.

image.png

For the number of visits you would need to link to a site that gathers such information. RoboHelp Server would do that if your help is accessed by users from your site. It's an expensive option though just for that.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge, thank you for your suggestions and the link to creating an email from a RoboHelp 2019 Responsive layout toolbar! This is very helpful! I will let you know what solution we end up using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware you may find people use it to seek support rather than read the help and give feedback. 🙂

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, on our end, we sometimes get those support requests in our feedback links (from the "Was this topic helpful?" area in our footer), but it's worth the risk to be able to hear from our customers. We do have support links in the footer region at the bottom of each topic that point our users to our support and knowledge base areas too...

JaredHess_0-1655318436469.png

...so we actually don't get very many support requests. When we do, we just politely direct them to the right area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott DeLugan My first thought is which version of RoboHelp you are using and which type of skin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Peter Grainge,

Thank you for your response. I am using Adobe RoboHelp 2020.4173. We are using a WebHelp skin (it has the HTML 5 logo next to it - Azure Blue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp