Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links not working as they should on Mobile Apps

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little stuck at the moment.

I started by importing a word document into Robohelp and did some additional formatting from there such as separating parts of the document into different pages and then re-linking the broken links etc.

Splitting up topics into different pages reduced load times on the Tablet I'm using to test it; however, Moible App output is still the only one that I can't use links properly on.

When I do tests in Webhelp or HTML5 and I click a link in the Table of Contents it goes straight to the page that content is on but also to the part of the content I clicked. On Mobile App however, I click a link and it'll go to the page that content is on but always just goes to the top of the page that content is on, even if the link I clicked should be going to the bottom of the page because thats where that specific content is.

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If your page content is small enough to be rendered without scrolls then page will be shown from top.

If that is not the case then can you tell us for which platform you are building the App and which device you are testing with ?

Is this issue reproducible for all TOC links and hyperlinks from within your pages ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the page content is not small enough to all fit on the screen at the same time.

I'm using PhoneGap and Robohelp 2015 Mobile App output to put the apk files on a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Yes this issue is reproducible with all ToC Links and image map links etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, sounds to me as if there is an issue with an app linking to a bookmark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be trying some additional things, but I currently don't have any broken links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said anything about broken links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Still a little bit new to Robohelp. Will be checking bookmarks now. Figured they were similar or the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, when you have a spot farther down on a certain topic, you see a bookmark. Likely if you looked at the properties of your TOC where things are just loading from the top of the page, you will see something like this:

tmp1.png

In this case I have a bookmark named bkmk. You will likely see other names used. The point is that you see a pound symbol with a name following it.

In the world of HTML, these are known as "Named Anchors". By having them on the page, they provide a way to establish a link from somewhere to this spot.

What I'm wondering about is if this ability even translates to the world of an app during the conversion process. And from what you have described, it seems it may not. But because I'm not into that whole "app world", I can't say for certain.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at the bookmarks and making sure that perhaps there are no spaces. If you see spaces, that can cause things to break in the world of HTML. So if, perhaps you see something like this when you look at the TOC properties: SomeTopic.htm#Some Bookmark Name, try changing it to either Camel Case (SomeTopic.htm#SomeBookmarkName) or use underscores (SomeTopic.htm#Some_Bookmark_Name)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my bookmarks seem to be there and connected, but the Table of Contents while it does have the #"Content" after it. They're not considered bookmarks they're considered hyperlinks. Could this be what's doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Apologies, but it seems as if you may be misunderstanding the way the TOC and Bookmarks work.

Perhaps it will help to think in different terms.

Think of the TOC as being like a big bus station. Each page in the TOC is a different bus headed in a different direction.

Think of each Topic you create as being similar to a street one may arrive at.

Each street has many different addresses on it. So think of each address as being like a Bookmark.

Certainly each bus may be instructed to arrive at a street. But perhaps you want the bus not only to visit the street, but a specific address. That specific address is the Bookmark.

So while a TOC entry may point at a specific address, that address isn't really in the TOC itself because it's inside the topic.

Hopefully that makes sense... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, jmatter

I'll add to the confusion by pointing out that in your first post, you begin by saying you "imported a Word document". If that Word doc happen to have an automatically generated TOC (in Word) based on styles, and you elected to import that Word TOC, then you'll end up with a ton of bookmarks. It's easy to miss because in the TOC designer, they just look like innocent whole Topics, when they are actually bookmarks when you look in TOC properties. When you ask RoboHelp to split various headings into topics, this could change the way your topics look depending on how many levels of headings you split.

So, while those imported bookmarks may not be thought of as typical blue underlined hyperlinks, they are links because a "page" in a TOC IS considered a link. And, if it's missing, then it will be considered "broken".

So, this is not really an answer to your question (because I'm not sure what the question is ) but perhaps it will give you some clues to further your diagnosis.

Thanks

john

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp