• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging Projects in RoboHelp 2020 - how many levels is possible?

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I need to create projects with a homepage, a bridge page that allow to access the projects. I need to devide my projects into 2 smaller ones due to the amount of content and different target audience.

Is is possible to merge projects in 3 levels:

- a parent project

- child project

- "sub-child" project

assume the child project can't be a parent projet for another child project? 🙂 

so should I go with the option 1 parent page > many child pages?

Second thing, the parent project should contain any content (possibly will break in the merged output) - how to prepare the parent project to set the access (links) to child projects? Should if be 1 html file with the whole design for the homepage?

Thanks much for all tips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the merged help demo on Peter's site - grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff, I already checked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you play around with the demo to simulate what you're looking to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In RoboHelp 2020 an output is controlled by the TOC so could you not just create two different TOCs to save the work in splitting your project into many projects?
  2. Why do you need to go to a third level? I think this is the first time I have seen anyone wanting to do that in twenty odd years! In theory it is possible but RoboHelp wasn't designed to work that way so I would expect issues. Particularly in the search.
  3. Why does the parent have to have content and links to child projects? The blank parent that I recommend on my site would open to a default topic that can be in any project. Think of that project as big brother or sister rather than the parent. The user will have no way of knowing whether it is the parent or any other project.
  4. To cater for two different merges you will need two two TOCs in the main project. You have to generate everything in the merge and two presets generating to different folders and using different TOCs will allow that.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, for your reply, Peter.

I see the point with 2 ToC I haven't considered that, because my one project has much content, so I was advised before to use on project for my existing one. 

Here's the screenshot of my structure, the number of my projects will grow. I still hope RoboHelp is the right choice to build the help system consisting of helpsites (projects) for many products. I can reduce number of levels an direct from the welcome home page into the project for teacher and project for students as child projects. The key is to gather all my projects under one bridge page and provide the customers with the access to them.

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 16.58.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Welcome to My Help - Make that the parent with a TOC that points to five children, Projects 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. It can have a topic just saying welcome but avoiding links. The user will see the child projects in the TOC so no links are needed.
  • Project 1 will be a child project with two sections in the TOC, not two sub-projects.
  • Project 2 will be a child project with three sections in the TOC, not three sub-projects.
  • Project 3 will be a child project with its own topics.
  • Project 4 will be a child project with three sections in the TOC, not three sub-projects. One of the sections will have two indented sections.
  • Project 5 will be a child project with its own topics.

I would be giving that a trial as the structure is just a parent and five child projects. I think that will work and avoid all the complexities with what you have described.

You can easily trial that by copying the child projects in my demo so that you have five child projects in all.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, once again thank you @Peter Grainge for a comprehensive answer to my complicated question.

I have another question.

There is a possiblity of publishing one ToC in a project at time. Can I have all ToCs accessible in the Project output, having only one project with multiple ToCs?

Or is this something available only for projects and its childs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am not following what you want to do.

There may be a delay in my reply when you have explained. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with creating 1 project, it will be a child project in the future but until creatig a parent one and the rest of the projects I want to use: 

- 1 project 

- 4 ToCs 

Can I have access to 4 ToCs in one place of my project or should the content of ToCs be shared separately for the end user  (by providing URLs). Hope this make sense now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the project will be a child but for now is a standalone you must generate it to somewhere outside of mergedProjects. There can be as many TOCs as you like but you can only select one when you generate.

It seems an odd question so maybe I am still not following what you are trying to achieve. Do say if I am not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Peter Grainge,

I appreciate your help, I think I understand the parent - children projects relation and how the files need to be structured to get a desired result.

I have a requirement to create landing page with RoboHelp, to replace: https://support.pearsonelt.com

I would like to provide this with a parent project, and children projects.

Here's another, probably again uncommon question - can I add any external links to a parent project, if it is possible, what would be the best way to do that?

The reason is to provide the access to existing content until it will be replaced by all children projects in RoboHelp.

Thank you in advance,

Angelika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, beside my previous question, I still need support in merging projects, although the structure of files looks good (as in the demo example) after merging partent and child project - the parent output doesn't show ToCs form child projects. Can you help me please? @Peter Grainge 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm travelling. Back next week.

There must be something in the steps that you are not following. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things to check until Peter is back.

Have you added the child projects to the Parent table of contents using Insert Child Project?

Have you generated the parent project, then generated each child into the applicable folder under mergedProjects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Angelikas It's difficult to work out where you are going wrong. Zip up the top level folder that contains your parent project and your child projects. See the Contact page on my site and send the zip as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

It may be a few days but I will look at it when I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp