• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mini TOC - Can you change the current heading indicator?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded my projects to RoboHelp 2020.7 and plan to use the Frameless layout with a customized Studio skin (let's call it Studio-custom).

In the Mini TOC, is there a way to change the bullet that's used to mark the current heading? In the attached screen shot, you can see that the bullet is a dark blue. I assume this is coming from the Theme Color for the skin (#00477B in our case). Is there a way to make that bullet a different color without changing the overall theme color (to use an accent color, for example)? Is there a way to use a different indicator altogether?

In the skin settings (Topic Page > Mini TOC), I see something called selected-pointer which seems to be the bullet, but I don't see a way to change the color or the character. (Changing the Font Color for it had no effect in the output.)

I see that there's a file called dot.svg in the /publish/skins/Studio-custom subfolder but it looks black, so I'm guessing that RH applies the theme color to that image when it generates the output. If we created an image file with the bullet we want and called it dot.svg, would that work? Or is there a way to customize this bullet in the Skin Editor?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

This didn't seem to work first time but it does now.

Change the image to a PNG in Selected Pointer. I chose PNG thinking any SVG may get the colour set to the them.

The one I chose was 100px by 100px, obviously too large but ignore that.

image.png

It doesn't seem to matter what size is set here, the preview does not change. Also I set the repeat to round but I'm not sure that is necessary. Because it was wrong here I was about to try other things but then I went to the Item Level settings.

Leve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer for you but whatever you try, do it in a duplicate of your skin so that you can ditch anything that doesn't work.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't seem to work first time but it does now.

Change the image to a PNG in Selected Pointer. I chose PNG thinking any SVG may get the colour set to the them.

The one I chose was 100px by 100px, obviously too large but ignore that.

image.png

It doesn't seem to matter what size is set here, the preview does not change. Also I set the repeat to round but I'm not sure that is necessary. Because it was wrong here I was about to try other things but then I went to the Item Level settings.

Level 1 shows the required green bullet but the other levels do not. However it seems to work for all levels.

Give it a whirl in a copy of your skin and let us know if it fixes it for you.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge Your suggestion worked for me! I created a 16x16 image of an orange square (.png) and specified it as the Image Path for selected-pointer. The color changed in the skin preview, and when I generated the help, the indicator was orange. There's just one little thing...RoboHelp really seems to want that indicator to be a circle and also determines the size (see attached; the output didn't change even when I enlarged the square to 48x48).

I can live with that---it was mostly the color change I was after (at the suggestion of a designer), but I figured I would ask about the bullet character at the same time. Thank you so much for figuring this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note, I'd set background repeat to 'no-repeat'. I can't imagine any scenario I'd want a bullet image repeating for an element.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amebr I'm not sure what background repeat is for, but this should be easy enough to do. Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tells the browser when and how the image should fill the available space. For the space assigned to the bullet it probably doesn't matter, but if you had an image on a large paragraph (or the page background), depending on what you set you might see the image multiple times spread across the paragraph height and width. Setting the background-repeat to 'none' means the image will only display once, like a regular image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Also, the value for background-repeat should be 'no-repeat' not 'none'. Most other things are 'none' so I got confused. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Amebr Whilst you are right about the various settings, in this case it doesn't seem to matter what you set. I mentioned I had chosen round but cautioned I didn't think it was correct. I later tried various settings but nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp