• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing breadcrumb on ONE topic although they display on all others.

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Products:   RoboHelpHTML 11

FrameMaker 12

I have a project inwhich I'm linking a FrameMaker book with 14 chapters to RoboHelp. Each chapter in FrameMaker generates is a single topic in RoboHelp.

I'm generate an SSL WebHelp layout.

I'm also using a custom CSS that is automapped to styles in the FrameMaker book.

Breadcrumbs are generated using a master page that I apply to all topics from the SSL dialog (i.e., a breadcrumb place holder in the master page).

In the SSL dialog, the breadcrumb option is turned OFF in the "Navigation" section of the SSL dialog.

PROBLEM:

Whenever I generate my WebHelp, I get breadcrumbs in all my topics (in the way I want them styled) EXCEPT one topic. No breadcrumb will display on that single topic. The is true even when I check the breadcrumb option in the SSL dialog in the "Navigation" section and disable my master page.

I have searched far and wide through the forums and have not found an solution. Any help out there????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at a topic that IS working and the one that isn't in the HTML View editor in RH. What's the difference? Is there something different about where the non-functioning topic came from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Breadcrumbs are added to topics either globally or selectively.

Global breadcrumbs are added at the time you generate your output and are turned off or on in the Single Source Layout recipe.

Local breadcrumbs are added via a Master Page that is associated with one or more topics.

And of course, you are also free to add breadcrumbs to one or more topics individually by inserting the Breadcrumbs Placeholder.

As Jeff says, you need to identify things. And more specifically, exactly how the breadcrumbs are being added. Look at your SSL recipe to see if they are global.

tmp1.png

To check for their existence in a Master Page, open the Master Page and examine the contents. Same goes for individual topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions so far Jeff and Captiv8r, but I'm still experiencing issues.

Comparing the HTML was a good idea, but I can't find and different that matters. The arrangement of items in th HTML is kind of sloppy because everything is generated from linked FrameMaker files.

Speaking of linking: I cannot individual modify a topic with master pages or css, it always reverts back to the defaults generated from the linked FrameMaker files. Everytime I try to apply an master page JUST to the one topic, that master page setting is erased when U update by links to FrameMaker. I seems like there is no ability to customize individual topics if theya re linked to FrameMaker documents ... everything has to be done at the Project Level.

Could it be that the FrameMaker file that is generating my topic without a breadcrumb is the source of the issue? A bug maybe? Maybe I'm not understand how to manage this stuff correctly ... I just don;t understand how I can get only ONE topic without a breadcrumb while all the other appear completely fine.

Looking for more suggestions! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something different about the FM source from the others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no been able to find a difference in my FrameMaker files as of yet

So I took Jeff's idea and took it to another area: I generated the webhelp and compared the topic that is NOT generating a breadcrumb with a topic that IS generating a breadcrumb in an actual browse (i.e., in Chrome, I right-clicked and used "view frame source" option).

I noticed the one difference between my non-breadcrumb topic and all of my topics that DO have a breadcrumb, is that the topics that DO have a breadcrumb have the following javascript:

</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../../ehlpdhtm.js" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">//<![CDATA[
if(bc == 1)
{
document.write("<p style=\"text-align:right;\" class=\"breadcrumbs\">");
AddMasterBreadcrumbs("../../index.htm", "breadcrumbs", " &gt; ", "Home", "../id_find_documents_applications/applications.htm");
document.write("<a class=\"breadcrumbs\" href=\"scan_to_file.htm\">Scan to File<\/a> &gt; Scanning a Document to a File<\/p>");
}
else{
document.write("<p style=\"text-align:right;\" class=\"breadcrumbs\">");
AddMasterBreadcrumbs("../../index.htm", "breadcrumbs", " &gt; ", "Home", "../id_find_documents_applications/applications.htm");
document.write("Scan to File<\/p>");
}
//]]></script>

The Topic that does not have the breadcrumb lacks this javascript. Could this be a symptom of a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying numerous things to get this one topic to generate a breadcrumb, I've had no success.

A work around is Responsive HTML5 SSL output. For some reason, when I generate a Responsive HTML5 help system, with a master page that has the placeholder breadcrumb applied at the Project Level, I DO get a breadcrumb on the topic that had one missing.

There has to be issue at the generation level. Some type of mishandling in the conversion process for that topic. Maybe the WebHelp html conversion process just isn't perfect at handling the Unstructure FrameMaker docs.  I hope someone experiences this problem and has a solution in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting result - I found that there's an issue in TCS4 (FM12/RH11) with importing FM content into RH, but that linking worked. I would still go back to looking at a topic that works & the topic that doesn't in the HTML view of the editor. There's got to be something in there that gives a clue to why it's not working. With importing, I've never had an issue with applying breadcrumbs - but I've always used the SSL setting (not the Master Page method). You actually can play around with how individual topics are styled - if you look at your folders created for your FM content inside the RH project, you'll notice that there are multiple CSS files placed alongside each folder. Many have complained that these aren't needed (& how to delete them), but they allow you to tinker with the innards of any of the separate CSS files and influence just the topics you want (although, frankly, I can't really imagine why you'd want to in the name of consistency across your help content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

In other topics, you should see perhaps five or six lines of JavaScript code as shown below:

tmp1.png

So the question here is, does this topic missing the breadcrumbs also have this code?

If it does have this code, it means the topic you are looking at seems to have been processed correctly and is actually a WebHelp output file.

If those lines are actually absent, it means that the topic has not been properly processed for whatever reason.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp