• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Entire RH 2019 Project was lost, anyway to recover source project files from Output on RH Server?

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently was working with Adobe for some support and moved my project to my desktop for troubleshooting and never moved it back onto my external hard drive which would have been automatically backed up.  BIG mistake, HUGE! My IT Ops team did a domain migration in which my profile was supposedly moved but all content on the desktop was lost, including, the largest project I manage that is accessed by multiple states. IT Ops is running a deep dive recovery program but my fear is it will not work and I just wondered, if there is a remote chance to rebuild the project from any of the output folders, locally and/or on the RH Server 10 that we use?  Worst case is I have to go back to my last backup which was 3 months ago and redo the work. This is my HAIL MARY!

TOPICS
New UI , RoboHelp server

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Thank you both, @Jeff_Coatsworth and @PeterGrainge!

My hail mary came through and it turns out my Desktop had been syncing to my OneDrive - although don't remember when I set that up!  I have my most current project and I am have no data loss. I will definitely be backing up ALL my projects regularly.  Thanks for your great suggestions and your quick responses.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's possible to reverse engineer a project out of the output - Peter's got info on his site (grainge.org) and Willam has a script for sale on his site (helpesstentials.com); I suspect that they would get you back a Classic version of project that you would have to convert to RH2019 New UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel for you. Sorry to say that the methods on my site are for Classic versions and I think that will be true of helpessentials.com. Check with them before you buy.

I think your last remaining hope is if you generated a CHM output as it doesn't matter which version created it. Alternatively, did you generate a Word output. That could be imported back but you will have lost a lot, tags and so on.

I will make some enquiries to see if there is any other option but I don't get your hopes up.

Bit late to say it now but at the end of the day, simply right click the project folder and zip it adding the date. I think you will from now on.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, @Jeff_Coatsworth and @PeterGrainge!

My hail mary came through and it turns out my Desktop had been syncing to my OneDrive - although don't remember when I set that up!  I have my most current project and I am have no data loss. I will definitely be backing up ALL my projects regularly.  Thanks for your great suggestions and your quick responses.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go easy on the celebrations! You just averted one headache. 🙂

The advice I got was to use the latest backup and generate an output, then use a diff tool to compare the two. It wouldn't be 100% perfect as you might have added content that was tagged out but it would be a guide.

Name zip files in the format YYMMDD Backup of XXX.zip. That way they sort in order. Every so often prune the backups. I do that regardless of what's in the cloud.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp