Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Narrow search parameters to filter between similarly named topics

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
We are using RH 2020, Version 2020.8.34.
We have several existing topics that contain the term "AP"; (we can't change AP in the topics).
We also have many new topics that contain "APE”; (we can't change APE in these topics either).
When we search for APE, the first 10 results are all topics named/containing AP, after those 10, the APE topics begin.
I found that the AP topics did not previously have searches defined, so I added search words.
I have tried both the "Text around the search term" and the "Topic description" output search context options, and cleared cache, then tested again. Neither changes the results.
Are there any Boolean operators that can be added such as -AP, or not AP, or any way to filter out the two letter AP results in favor of the 3 letter APE results?
Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the AP topics did not previously have searches defined, so I added search words.

I assume this means you set a Keyword in the topic properties. If this is the case, this field is used to add additional words that don't appear in the topic, but that your users might search on when looking for the specific topic. For example, say you have a topic about packing the boot of your car but you find some American clients can't find the appropriate topic. You could add 'trunk' to the keywords so that the topic appears when they search for 'trunk'.

I have tried both the "Text around the search term" and the "Topic description" output search context options, and cleared cache, then tested again. Neither changes the results.

These settings are only related to what text displays below the topic title in the search results. It has no impact on the topics that are returned by the search.

Are there any Boolean operators that can be added such as -AP, or not AP, or any way to filter out the two letter AP results in favor of the 3 letter APE results?

I don't believe there is any way to set a minimum character limit for search terms or to exclude specific terms from the search. Nor any way to prioritise particular terms. The only thing I can think of is excuding topics from the search - you'd still be able to get to them if they are in the TOC, are linked to from other topics, or have index keywords applied, they just wouldn't ever appear in the search results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for you quick reply and helpful explanations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp