• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to recover lost project after hard drive failure RH 2020.6.76

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, ok, I'm an idiot. Several months ago I had to convert from VS Source Control to Git. I am really not technical so followed the RH instructions on how to create a new connection in Collaborate. I got several errors saying unable to connect, worked on it and then all of a sudden it said it was connected. I then committed my project at least once per day. Then my computer crashed, Missing Operating System. Got a new laptop, reinstalled RH and reconnected to Git, again with some errors saying unable to connect and then again it says it was connected. When I tried to recover my data from my repo in Git, the message says cloning repo, there's nothing in the local folder and the message says unavailable project. If I try to open the connection again, the error message is The local path already contains a repository. Cannot clone from remote url. 

First, what happened to my project, why wasn't it committed/saved to the repo in Git? Why wasn't there any error message if it wasn't connected properly? Why did I get successful commit messages if it wasn't happening properly?

Second, and most important, how do I recover my projects? They are published elsewhere, is it possible to reverse-engineer them back to RH? I looked at Peter Grainge's pages https://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/reverse_engineering/reverse_engineering.htm but he says that it does not apply to the new UI of RH that I'm working with. Does anyone have any hints for me? TIA.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

I would give the RH folks a buzz - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

I cannot help you with the recovery from source control so unless someone else comes along on that aspect, try Support. @Jeff_Coatsworth has given you the link.

Assuming your old machine is still as you left it, then there's a good chance that IT can recover the project. Whilst the disk's operating system is corrupt, all the files on the machine are still on it. It's not guaranteed but there's a good chance IT can recover them. They will likely have a USB to IDE and SATA cable but if not they

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would give the RH folks a buzz - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, will do. I'll let you know if there's anything they can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you will get much out of Adobe during the holiday period. Your IT may be able to recover the project from the failed drive. I'll explain more in the morning.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot help you with the recovery from source control so unless someone else comes along on that aspect, try Support. @Jeff_Coatsworth has given you the link.

Assuming your old machine is still as you left it, then there's a good chance that IT can recover the project. Whilst the disk's operating system is corrupt, all the files on the machine are still on it. It's not guaranteed but there's a good chance IT can recover them. They will likely have a USB to IDE and SATA cable but if not they are cheap enough, certainly compared with your time rebuilding things. They will plug that into a good machine and be able to see all the folders and files to be recovered to the good machine.

A CHM output would also enable recovery if by chance you have one.

You are not the first and won't be the last to be in this situation. I suggest in addition to source control it takes minutes to zip up the project and put it on the network each day. Then prune those outputs once in a while. Belt and braces.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Jeff and Peter, I've marked both answers as correct. I'm working to transfer the files and have had interaction with the folks at tcssup@adobe.com, very helpful. It'll be a long comeback but I'll get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Were you able to recover the files from the hard disk? Just curious and also curious to know what Support suggested. It all helps for the next person with this sort of problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp