• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Search in Responsive HTML Output

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I'm using RH 2019.0.12 and outputing my project to Responsive HTML5.  My issue is that the Search function on our Web Help doesn't work.  You input a keyword and click the spyglass or hit Enter and nothing happens.  I've looked for the required search xml files (whftdata0.xml,WHFWDATA0.XML, etc.), and I don't see them in the whxdata folder in my output.
What I've tried:

• Opening the web help in multiple browsers (Firefox, IE)
  • Downloading and installing MSXML 4 (per advice in a community post)
  • Uninstalling/reinstalling Robohelp
  • Copying the revised scripts (from https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/search-issue-responsive-html5.html) into both my project contents and backend RH template folder.
  • Enabled Substring Search option in output preset and regenerated the output
  • Deleting the ouput folder and output preset and recreating them

I noticed in the output that's on the server (for which I had to recreate the project almost from scratch), and has active search function, that there seems to be search related xml files from a prior version oif RH (e.g. whtdata0.xml, topictable_0.xml, synonym.xml, etc.).  Could I copy these files over to my rebuilt project and get Search to work? 
I just don't know what more to try. 
It's crazy since everything else now works (topics, links, index, glossary).  If I could just get the Search to work, I'll be good.  But until I do, my version of the webhelp isn't acceptable (the search function is a critical requirement).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This using the New UI format? What happens if you try it with the Classic version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the UI format.  Are you suggesting that if I open the project and generate the ouput using the Classic version it would generate the search files in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - I opened RH Classic and tried to open my project, but it doesn't allow me to open the new .rhpj file extension...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no - you can't go back and forth - I just thought you may have a copy of it as a older Classic project.Why don't you try it in both the New UI and Classic versions using the sample projects. If it works in the samples, then you know it's something to do with your project - if it fails there too, then it's time to log a bug in the Tracker (https://tracker.adobe.com/).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked for the required search xml files (whftdata0.xml,WHFWDATA0.XML, etc.)

They are output files from Classic versions.

Downloading and installing MSXML 4 (per advice in a community post)

Was that thread related to 2019 New UI? I suspect it is a Classic version issue.

Copying the revised scripts (from https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/search-issue-responsive-html5.html) into both my project contents and backend RH template folder.

That page states that it is for RoboHelp 2017.

I noticed in the output that's on the server (for which I had to recreate the project almost from scratch), and has active search function, that there seems to be search related xml files from a prior version oif RH (e.g. whtdata0.xml, topictable_0.xml, synonym.xml, etc.).  Could I copy these files over to my rebuilt project and get Search to work? 

When you generate a project, the target folder is first emptied. When you use the publish to a server function from RoboHelp, it does not. I suspect the files you refer to are not doing anything. I certainly wouldn't start mixing them.

First of all, just generate the output locally, same drive as the project. Use another new preset and skin to make sure it is all squeaky clean. You said you are using a responsive skin but then referred to webhelp, a format that does not change as the window resizes. If that is what you want, use responsive but deselect Responsiveness in the skin.

Try again and post back.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and generate to a new folder to be sure.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - I tried creating a new preset, new output folder closer to the root of the drive, and generating the output.  Still no search.  Maybe you could explain how the search is supposed to work in RH2019 compared to RH9 (our prior version).
Our existing web help has a "Search" button at the top, and when a word is entered and search initiated, it returns every topic that has an instance of that word and highlights the word on the page(s).  I looked at the htm topics for what's currently in our Production environment, and I don't see anything w/in the code for each topic that defines search keywords.  It's almost as if the search isn't using any sort of predefined search keyword list.
However, when I go into my current project, created using RH2019 New UI, and open any topic, I see a place to enter search keywords which then end up as meta data in the html.  And FYI, when I do a Find, I only found 72 meta snippets for search keywords.  Regardless, when I go to the web help created using my new project and type in one of the search keywords I found, it doesn't do anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our existing web help has a "Search" button at the top, and when a word is entered and search initiated, it returns every topic that has an instance of that word and highlights the word on the page(s). 

That is what should still happen. Depending on which skin you are using there will be a search field and a magnifying glass to open a different field but the same functionality. As you type, there should be some predictive searches offered. If you don't use those and press Enter after entering what you want searched, you should then see a list of results.

In 2019 it is a mix of words in topics plus any search keywords you enter plus index terms and glossary terms depending on the options chosen.

Search keywords are used where perhaps your topics have "warehouse" in the text but users might search on "depot" etc.

In a few topics add a made up word such as redgiraffe and then search. Do they get returned? 

What happens if you try one of the sample projects? Same problem?

Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I tried adding some test search keywords to a topic and re-publishing the project; however, when I search for these terms, nothing is returned.  It looks like the search function is not even being called/initiated, but I could be wrong. 

In addition, I sent my project to you via WeTransfer (per the instructions on your site).  Maybe you'll see something that I'm missing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll take a look over the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp