So I was attempting to generate the primary layout (webHelp) for a project, but nothing was happening. I then noticed that when I opened a dropdown in the last topic I worked on, the style indicator on the tool bar started changing back and forth between the actual style applied and the default Normal style. I've never encountered this before--has anyone else? Changing the style seems to have no effect.
I've seen the flickering before. But I haven't heard about it blocking creating an output. Do other outputs still work you.
Good question. I haven't needed them so I haven't checked, but I will. I should note: this behavior seems to be connected to particular projects.
I went to a different iteration of the project without the blinking issue. I'm having a general issue there with generation: I can only do it from the Properties popup via the Save and Generate button--the button on the toolbar does nothing. Of more concern--I attempted to add a topic, then import a topic. Both show up in the fpj but neither shows in WebHelp output (or printed doc, or CHM). Only when I put it in the Table of Contents will RH generate it in output--unfortunately it's a file we want to be accessible only via links from other topics.
At the same time, if I attempt to drag-and-drop move the file within Project Manager, it doesn't show until I close RH and reopen it--which is a job in itself, since I have to go to Task Manager to actually close RH these days. It will happily sit for hours after I try to close it via the menu, alt-f4, the taskbar, etc.
So perhaps I should change the title of the issue to: Anyone know an exorcist?
I think it's time to try a clean project. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left. Open one of the samples and see if you are having the same issues there?
I'm just trying to pin the blame on your projects.
Being serious, we will know if it is an installation issue or a project issue.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
As a troubleshooting approach it makes perfect sense. I will try a new topic, then importing one.
One last note--I mentioned when I put the topic in the TOC it showed up. The links to it also then worked. When I removed it from the TOC, the links stopped working, or rather, produced File not Found messages. However, the large number of files not in the TOC that we access via links...all still work. So perhaps troubleshooting with a new project will reveal if it's just that file...
Using the basic built-in sample for application help, I successfully imported the same topic file, linked to it, etc, without issue. I can also close the project in question, and RH, without resorting to heroic Task Manager measures. So it really seems as if I have some projects with issues.
Compare the SSL settings in your project and the sample, especially the TOC
SSL settings appear identical. I started a new project and imported the existing topics into it, which fixed things until I tried to bring over baggage files. Will see if I can reproduce.