• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Numbers-RH 2019

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I add page numbers in RH 2019? I searched past posts and cannot find a solution to adding page numbers to master pages. It give an option on top of the horizontal menu choices, but the pagination does not show when generating a PDF, per my supervisor's request.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is possible. please refer to

RoboHelp 2019 – Update 6 (April 2019) – Adobe TechComm Blog

Kindly let us know if this helps.

thanks

Amitoj singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amitoj,

I tried that & still cannot get it to generate pagination in the PDF.

Also, with the RoboHelp program running, when I go to AUTHOR tab, in the CONTENTS column, in the ASSETS folder > CSS folder, there is no “PDF.CSS” file in there as shown in the BLOG site you sent me the link to the new ... I thought if I made a separate PDF master page, it would number the pages as I need. It messed my file up, since I had to hit save, as it suggested since I got the APPLICATION ERROR & needed to: ”Restart RoboHelp” I ended losing a few pages of content that I applied “MY MASTERPAGE” a document I created, of which I added a centered page number in the footer section & deleted the text above, since I already had content in my pages (114 page document) when I created my project in Version 2019 ver5. Luckily I had an older version saved elsewhere. I thought there was an easy way to apply the master page with just a consecutive counting page number to a page of Content – or to an entire Project (?) Sounds like a dream come true – please advise.

Also – As per Peter Grainge, I copied a project folder & renamed it with a new number, (& renamed the RoboHelp file in the copied folder, also with the new number). When it opens, it shows the OLD file name at the top of the RoboHelp window. This gets rather confusing, and the save date in my Windows explorer continues to show an old date of when the older document was created – even though I do hit “SAVE ALL” before it closes. When I generate a new PDF, the new PDF shows the latest date, but the newest Robohelp document continues to show the date of the oldest original file in Windows explorer. I don’t know why RoboHelp doesn’t prompt you to “SAVE” when you close the program, like all other Adobe products do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try creating a new project with RH 2019.0.7 and confirm if you are able to see it. also would it be possible for you to take your classic project and upgrade the same once again with update 7 build and confirm if you can see the new pdf.css

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - yes, I can now see the PDF in a new document. I wasn't working with a "Classic" project - it was a Robohelp ver 5 project.

Hello Amitoj,

I appreciate the fact that a new master page for PDFs has been added, but the blog only shows the “what” – not the “how”. If I add and format the PDF Masterpage (for instance; centered on the bottom of each page) how shall I assign it to my project without losing all the text that exists? Will I have to make a New Project, set up the Master Page first, save it, then assign it to my project (how?) and then start adding my content all over again? (copying & pasting from one project to another)

How do I assign a different style (lower case Roman numerals, centered on the bottom of the TOC page) then start a different TOC on page 1 of my content (as “Page 1”) and the document will know how to number it correctly in the TOC?

When I try to edit the PDF in Master Pages PDF, the message says it “is read only”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve

You say I replied to the posting site. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Is the original problem resolved?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

"I replied to the posting site": refered to me answering the Amitoj's email (same as his posted repy). Going forward, I know to reply to the site.

Re:copying a Project & renaming it  - I was successful, being aware to ammend the Project name in Properties.

Onto your send question: unfortunately, no - I still cannot get page numbers to generate in the PDF, even after adding to the Master Page PDF Properties & Saved. Also, now I cannot generate a TOC, although I was able to before I upgraded to ver 7. (I was using ver 5 - RH 2019). It just adds the blank page in its place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  you create a new project using the PDF master page supplied and the associated PDF.css, then it works OK is my understanding. That being the case we need to figure out why it doesn't happen in your own project.

Locate the PDF master page and css in the new project and copy them to the same location in the non working project.Then make sure it is those files that are referenced in the output.

Does that fix the problem? The supplied master page already has page numbers in it so it should include them without any further work on your part.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

I HAVE been able to get page numbers to print in my PDF now, THANKS!

My latest issue is getting the TOC to show in the PDF. I only get a blank page where it should be. I was able to get a TOC to generate when I started my training in RoboHelp 2019 ver7, but it's not cooperating now. Can you shed some light? I made sure "Generate TOC" is checked in the properties...I believe I am showing "PDF Properties" in the screenshot attached.

THANKS in advance!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I take that back - the page numbers skip a few pages for some reason, and continue numbering (actually missing those numbers).

Also, is there any way to tell the PDF where make page breaks? I would like to keep a piece of text or caption to stay with a particular image, but the pages just randomly break where they want to, for fit purpose, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PAGE NUMBERING

I haven't heard of any pages skipping numbering. Are you using the supplied PDF master page and its associated CSS?

TOC

I have seen that happen in earlier builds. Same question as above? I assume you have selected the correct TOC in preset.

PAGE BREAKS

Someone else asked that earlier today. The only way I can think of is to get your PDF program to output to Word and then create your page breaks. Maybe that will give better page numbering.

Try those things first and then post back.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your questions...

Yes, Yes and OK - will try the Word creation thing - just a lot of work, when I thought RH would have the capability. Thanks you.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Page Numbering and the missing TOC, can you share the project with me? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

On Page Breaks, surely the only additional work is generating a Word document from the PDF and after creating the page breaks saving it back to PDF. The creation of page breaks was always a manual task.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only setting I changed in your project was the output path and the document did not skip any page numbers.

You do definitely have Update 7 applied and you have lifted the pdf master page and css from a new project into your project?

Your output and I assume your project are located in Documents > My RoboHelp Projects. Try moving to something like C:\RoboHelpProjects.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the output path as you said - now no page numbers at all. I do not see the option on the top menu at all now ("123") to choose page numbers. Also, still no TOC generating - just its blank page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the output path only could not have changed affected the master page. 123 only shows when you have a master page open and the master page in the copy you sent me has a page number in the centre of the footer. You must have changed something else.

Open the PDF master page. Is your page number still there?

Where is your project located?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my master page shows my page number still there. The only thing I changed was the output path to go to my C drive for the PDF in a new folder as you instructed. My project is in my C drive, under Users, under my name folder, then in a folder called WORK, then in that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy!

Move or copy the project as well as above to to something like C:\RoboHelpProjects and then generate to something like C:\RoboHelpOutputs..

Does that change anything.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it IS crazy & making me crazy as well. I did exactly what you said, & was sure to direct the output to a new folder outside of the folder that the project resides in. This time, less page numbers (5, 10, 16, 20... no rhyme or reason!) and still no TOC - just a blank page where it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was focussing more on the page numbering to start with and am inclined to think that is something about your environment. That issue does not happen here. Are you able to take the project home and try it with the trial version there?

Meantime though I see the TOC missing as well and nothing I can do will coax it in. Can I share this project with Adobe? It will not be made public.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you may share the project.

I did bring it home to try on the trial version I am running at home and the

same results. I originally had a TOC, then it disappeared when I regenerated

to a PDF to try to get the numbering right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you only lose the TOC when you use the PDF master page?

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I recall it happened earlier, when I was still using RH 2019 ver5, prior to updating to 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I am sending the project on to Adobe so let's see what they can find. What operating system are you on?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp