Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph returns not recognized when importing Word doc in RH2020

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RH Community,

We just upgraded and find that RH2020 is not recognizing most paragraph returns when importing Word documents. After completing a paragraph, we normally would hit Enter 2x. One to get to the next line and another to create a space between paragraphs. We are finding that RH2020 is not recognizing the paragraph return so there is no space in between the paragraphs. It also happens between other styles.  We tried just increasing the spacing after or before the styles. But this would require us to have a different Word document version for RH; one without paragraph returns. Is there a RH tool for paragraph formats for before/after spacing where RH would keep on ignoring where there is a paragraph return in Word but provide spacing before or after the paragraph? This would happen within RH after importing the Word document. It might be difficult to get people to change how they naturally create paragraph spacing in Word. Your help trying to find a solution would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all patched up? Check Help > Updates to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe so.  Version 5.71.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you've got your mapping set up so that it knows what to map the Word paragraph style to in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. all styles are mapped to Import Style from Word.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a document and your CSS? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and email them to me. I'll check in the morning, late here. 

I just tested a document and the extra returns were recognised.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought, try mapping a document to default.css when you import. See if that is any different to mapping with your CSS.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replied to your email. Happy to check the double returns issue when you email me a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

html typically ignores blank space such as multiple space characters or multiple empty paragraphs.

I'd recommend creating a stylesheet in Robohelp and mapping your Word styles to the css styles.

You would include margin values to add space above or below (or both) the styles that need it.

e.g.

p {

margin-top: 0.5em;

margin-bottom: 0.5em;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been testing importing a few Word documents into Rh2020.5 and included a few blank paragraphs for testing.

Interestingly, if I import, then generate without editing an imported topic, the blank paragraphs are blank in the html sense, and are ignored (as expected).

If I edit an imported topic, then generate, the blank paragraphs have a non-breaking-space inserted, and show up in the output (also as expected, because now the paragraph is not "blank", it contains a space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both seem to work OK in RoboHelp but behind the scenes I have been in contact with @Ken in DC and he believes he has resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

My apologizes for not getting back to you sooner.  I was out of the office Thursday and Friday last week.

I am not sure the issue is totally resolved. But we think we are making progress.  The testing you did confirmed the bug or issue. Thank you! But we are testing a work-around.  After Word import, spacing is added back if you add padding of just 1 px to the style where the problem is. Please see the graphic below. We are just testing it now and not sure if this works for everywhere there is a problem. But we think it is good progress.  We will also test the Find & Replace work-around you suggested.  

Thank you again,

Ken

KeninDC_0-1629719811187.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw your second post. So the import process is where the problem is. I'll take another look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blank lines in Word imported OK in this 2020 test.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Import OK but lost on generation. I think I will report that as a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH-9946 | Tracker (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a simple test this seems to work.

Go to Source View for the topic(s) and press CTRL F so that you get the search panel at the bottom of the topic.

find.png

For some reason the same find and replace in the main Find and Replace panel does not find the empty P tag. I will report that.

It then seems to generate OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am advised that the bug in the main Find and Replace will be fixed in Update 6, meantime use the in topic F&R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that works to your satisfaction, that's fine. What I have done is actually correcting the import error.

When you import after the bug is fixed, you shouldn't need either fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What we ended up doing is adjusting the padding in the P style within RH to 7 pt. The P is the paragraph return style I beleive.  It creates a space and you only need to do it once.  We are looking forward to the new updates.

Thank you!

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp