• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Problem with Dynamic Content Filters

Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm using RH2020.6.76. I have a problem or misunderstanding regarding Dynamic Content Filters. I have the following scenario:

Tags: 1, 2, 3

TOC-Structure:

Section tagged 1

- Topic tagged 1

Section tagged 2

- Topic tagged 2

Section tagged 1,2,3

- Subsection tagged 1

-- Topic tagged 1

- Subsection tagged 2

-- Topic tagged 2

 

Now, when I set my content filter to 1, I get the following displayed in my TOC of the output:

Section tagged 1

- Topic tagged 1

Section tagged 2

- Topic tagged 2

Section tagged 1,2,3

- Subsection tagged 1

-- Topic tagged 1

- Subsection tagged 2

-- Topic tagged 2

 

When I try to open Topic tagged 2, I get the message "Topic is hidden by current filters".

 

I would have expected that also Subsection tagged 2 would be hidden by the filter. Is it possible to achieve this and if, what do I have to do for this? Am I misunderstanding how the content filters work? (Yes, I read Peter Grainges information about this, but I still don't get it)

 

If I only tag the topics and not the sections in the TOC, always all sections will be shown, which is not what I want.

 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards
Karin

Views

28

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say Dynamic Content Filtering is not what it was. First of all in the new UI we lost the ability to apply expressions to filters. Then in Update 4 we could no longer apply a tag to both a topic and content. I don't think that has been fixed and I'm not sure if there was a reason for that change or if it was deliberate for some reason.

 

If you create a simple project with just the minimum number of topics to test this, I will take a look at it but I'm not hopeful.

 

In the first topic please explain in a table what you expect to see when each filter is applied and what you do see.

 

Great if I can do something but if not, I will take this up with Adobe again.

________________________________________________________

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer or Like if helpful. Found your answer elsewhere? Share it here.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Peter. I will send you a test project to look at.

I tried to create a table that further explains what I want to achieve and what I get:

KarinAlbrecht_2-1658149337676.png

 

 

Also, when I do not apply tags to the sections in the TOC, what I said above is not correct. In this case, the topics are filtered correctly, but the sections are not displayed (correctly). In my test project, this looks as follows:

KarinAlbrecht_0-1658149162977.png

It should look like this:

KarinAlbrecht_1-1658149303536.png

 

 

In my actual project, it causes that the parameter topics can only be found using the search, they are not displayed in the TOC at all (because their sections / subsections are not displayed).

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more update: in my actual project, when not applying condition tags to TOC sections, the topics are displayed as shown in the screenshot of my test project, but ONLY AFTER I searched them manually and opened them. In this case, the filter criterion is a new one, so maybe thats causing this strange behaviour there. However, the structure of my TOC is destroyed and causes problems. That's why I applied condition tags to TOC sections in the first hand.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp