• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Alphanumeric Lists Importing Word Into RH2020 - Can't Get Them to "Start from 1"

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I cannot get my alphanumerica lists to "Start from 1" or "Start from a." when importing my Word document into RH2020 version 5. The lists have no problem starting over from 1 or a in the Word document. But the lists within the same topic or chapter are continuous in the output when they are imported into Word.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing the "Convert Word Lists to HTML Lists" thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. All the other lists appear to be fine. It is a 400 page document with many lists and topics or chapters. I just can't get the alphanumeric lists to start over when they are in the same chapter. They do start over in the next chapter.

Thank you,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have added something rather important. It sounded like all lists were incorrect rather than  subsequent lists in the same topic. Nonetheless, they should still convert OK.

Create a simple document and insert just a couple of lists starting 1.

Import that and let us know what happens. Also give us an example of the list format that is failing on import.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion to create that simple document.  It gave me a chance to explore possible solutions.  For most of our bullet lists, we use the Paragraph Style type when creating new styles for our bullets.  We have a lot of different bullets with different indentations and this has worked well except for restarting the numbering. We have not had good luck in making all the bullets work using the List style type when creating a new style.  The style just converts to a List Paragraph style.  In this particular case, I just used the List style type and the List Paragraph style for the alphanumeric lists and the list started over at 1 or a.  Problem solved.  Thank you again for facilitating the solving of this problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you switch to Code view, it is likely very easy to correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the code for the first <li>?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for responding.

This is the code:

<p class="Numbering24 Style2" style=" line-height: 1.08;"><span style=" font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Refine the List</span></p>

I hope this helps.  

Thank you again,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import a Word document there are two options, Convert to HTML List or Convert to Autonumber. That style is an autonumber style and autonumber styles do continue. Thus although you responded to @Jeff_Coatsworth saying you had selected Convert to HTML List, the styling applied looks like you selected Convert to Autonumber.

The code is an autonumber style and that does continue list numbering which is why you posted.

Your options are to click in the first item in every list and in Properties you will find Restart Numbering or to import again.

Autonumbering has some issues with accessibility if that is important to you. Screen readers advise the user that a list has been reached when they get to content formatted as a true list. When they reach content formatted with autonumbering, they will announce a paragraph.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I want to thank you for the help.  That is interesting that the code indicates I selected Covert to Autonumber when importing.  I am certain that I have been selecting Convert to HTML list.  I did run a few tests selecting Autonumber and playing with Properties and Restart Numbering.  I have not been able to get it to work like we need it to.  But I definitely want to explore Autonumbering more after I finish my project.   Thank you again for all the help.  You have given me a lot of ideas for bettering our RH process.

Thank you,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't say for sure I am right as the evidence is circumstantial. 🙂 

Glad I was of some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp