Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with merged projects in HTML5 when using ampersand (&) or space

Participant ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just stumbled over the following issues with merged projects. I post them here to hopefully help anybode who comes across similar issues. Hope, this is the right place for this.

1. Ampersand (&) must not be used in TOC
    If the TOC of a merged project contains a "book" with an ampersand in it, e.g. "Tracking & Tracing", this will cause an error when displaying the HTML5 output in IE11 or Firefox. There is no problem when using Chrome. Removing the "&" from the TOC solved the problem. I guess this special character isn't correctly escaped here and therefore causes an error. An ampersand in a TOC header in lower levels apparently doesn't cause problems.
  2. Project file names must not contain spaces
    It is possible to save project files with a space in the file name, e.g. "Error Management". The output of the individual project will still work fine, however, problems arise when trying to include such a project file into a merged project. For this part of the merged project, just an empty folder will be output in HTML5.

Best regards

Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, curious. I have a project where the top book contains an ampersand, but the merge works fine in IE11.

Maybe it's specific to the version and output type.

I'm using RH11, generating Multiscreen HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH2015, generating Responsive HTML5.

The problem occurs, if the ampersand is entered into top book of the TOC in the merged project, the one without the actual files, where you just select the project that shall be used. Ampersands directly in the TOCs of the projects doesn't seem to cause problems.

However, I also just detected another problem:

• with very large indexes, Firefox 48 causes an error when trying to display the index ("too much recursion"). My size worked fine with FF 47.0.1, but since the update last night, it no longer works. If I reduce the projects in the merge (and thus also reduce the index size), it works again. I don't know exactly how large my index is, but I'm merging 30 projects and each has a quite extensive index. I'm also using the same key word in several indexes, so the topics displayed per key word are from different projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, yes, I always try to avoid anything except a-z, A-Z, 0-9 underscore _ and dash/hyphen - (potayto/potahto ) in file names or anything that might become a filename. This includes most administrative files in Robohelp (Toc file, index file, variable names, etc).

Even though they are allowed in a lot of the administrative stuff in Robohelp I find it's better just not to use them so I don't get into bad habits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp