RH 2015. All updates installed.
Due to the nature of the product, the Help includes many very long tables. When you Create a PDF for Review, the tables look worse than they do in the online Help. Table headers don't continue to the next 'page' and the last row of a table on a PDF page ends up with no border.
Copy link to clipboard
The way to get table headers to go to the next page is to generate to Word first. There you can run a macro to apply that setting to all tables, then you generate to PDF.
Borders can be tricky. Does it fail in Word or is it at the Word to PDF stage?
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
We're now going through Create PDF for Review instead of going through a Printed Documentation SSL because of the internal errors we get with Printed Documentation SSLs (Adobe TCS is supposed to be looking at this problem.) Basically, the output is generated but the process fails to create the TOC, and we do get Word errors. We can use F9 to generate the TOC, but the output from our project isn't great. (We've not yet tried mapping styles, etc.)
When we use Create PDF for Review, we get a pretty decent looking PDF, much better than the output of the Printed Documentation SSL, and there are no errors. The only problem we have in the PDF created using Create PDF for Review is with the lack of table continuation.
Adobe TCS suggested that the problem with Printed Documentation might be related to the fact that we work out of Source Control and there might be a communication problem between TFS and RoboHelp. (We're also unable to import or create skins.)
Yes, this is the same Printed Doc problem that you looked at back in fall 2013. (There's a lengthy description of the project dated October 28, 2013, when we were using RH 10.0.1.292.) You looked at the project and sent it back and I got the same error.
I think you checked a local version of the project, not a source controlled project. The problem appears to be related to the fact that we work out of source control. The Adobe agent thought that there might be a communication issue between TFS and RoboHelp.
I've sent the project to Adobe TCS and am waiting to hear back from them. The agent is supposed to be testing the problem in the same environment (TFS, Source Control 2010, Windows 7 Experience, Word 2010, RoboHelp 2015 (latest updates installed).
Good morning, Peter.
Here's the information that I got back from Adobe TCS after they set up a TFS environment.
"Further to the issue, the printed documentation is working fine on this project on Team Foundation Server. Also when I added a new WebHelp skin I was able to get the folder for the same on Visual Studio Explorer. I suspect the issue seems to be with the communication of the project on your computer to Team Foundation Server. Please try to create a new Team Project from File> New Team Project in Microsoft Visual Studio Source Control Explorer and then link the project and check the issue further."
Since our TFS release engineers are quite busy right now (we're at the tail end of development for a June release), we probably won't have time to try the new Team Project approach for at least a few weeks. When we do, I'll be sure to keep the forum posted on the results.
For now, for draft purposes, Create PDF for Review works well enough for everything except the tables and the missing image in the notes.
I'll look forward to your update and hope it is good news. It will be the
end of a frustrating period for you.
Good morning, Peter.
With a June product release and changes in personnel in Release Engineering, I've not done much additional work on this problem. After my upcoming vacation, I'll ask the Release Engineer to create a new team project, as suggested by Adobe TCS, to see whether that solves the communication problem between RH and TFS/Source Control.
Another thought, noted by the Release Engineer, is that the MSSCCI Provider may be too old. He suggests that we may want to explore other ways of working from within Source Control than via the current Provider. (I won't go into more details here because this isn't the Source Control forum.)
Little by little I'm reformatting tables in the Help so that they look better in the Create for PDF review output! While we still can't generate continuation headers and we still get some awful page breaks, for our interim purposes it works well enough.
Sweet! I hadn't thought to look for a macro to create headers for tables that are split from a natural page break. (And considering that one of my user guides has many tables that are split between multiple pages, this will be an "added feature" for our users.) I also found a macro that will refresh all of the page numbers (TOC and within the doc). I already use a macro that adds "on page #". And... created another macro that will run all three macros in the appropriate order: Add table headers, add page numbers, update all fields.
THIS is why I like to read all of the posts. I'm almost always learning something that I can apply to RH or the output from RH.