• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question mark icon instead of space in chm after RH Upgrade 2022 version

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to RH 2022.4.179, we have some spaces, apostrophes, and other random areas that are showing as the triangle with the question mark. We checked and the Window OS is set to English and the Preset Output is set to English. These are old .chm files that we continually update. We also looked at the HTML and there is nothing in there to indicate a problem. Examples attached.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

@Kdale2 It's not what is in the topic layout, it is simply a link to one that is breaking things. I tested in a new project.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

I'm pretty sure it will be an issue with all of them but you can select mutiple files in the Contents panel, right click and remove the layout in Properties there. It still won't be a quick job but it will be quicker. Obviously you only need to do that in projects you have to generate before we hear more.

You could also use any tool to find the topic layout line in the header section of the topics.

Adding the footer content to a snippet seems to work OK. 

The snippet code would be somethin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this is also Kdale2 bcz I somehow messed up my account and haven't had time to fix it or merge accts since my work emails and companies merged (send help) Ugh... Anyway, we encountered this with the copyright symbol, apostrophe, dash, and extra space. There might have been other symbols/punctuation marks that I didn't catch.

As a temporary fix, we removed the copyright that we had as a footer in each help topic by removing it from Layout. When we removed it, it seemed to fix the issue.  It's been a while since I did it myself, so here's what one of my writers told me she did to remove the footer and fix the issue: "For the Output, you select None in the Topic Layout (and I've also been setting Language to English (US) because I read originally that would fix it but it didn't). Then you select all topics in the project, select the ellipses on any topic to display the Multiple selection (whatever the name is) and then set Topic Layout and Language to Default (which is now None). Sometimes it takes a while to save All topics. Then, regenerate with no footer. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browsing through mine the big standouts are:

• The restricted symbol (HTML code: ®)
  • The trademark symbol (HTML code: ™)
  • Instances of double spacing between paragraph tags.
  • Empty paragraph tags ( <p></p> ) within the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Empty paragraphs is a different issue. See Item 32 here.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp