Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Search" does not work in Internet Explorer 11

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Webhelp (RH2017) now works as it should in Chrome and Edge, but in Internet Explorer the Search function does not work.

Does anyone have a tip to solve this?

PS! I have edited the file whthost.js to solve the Chrome problem (ref. discussion "Toc books not opening in Chrome").

Regards,

Dag SundetWebhelp issue IE11.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is already covered in a long thread but the short answer is to see Item 13 in Using RoboHelp 2017

The official fix should be released very shortly if you prefer to wait for that.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I did not understand what you mean.

Your link took me to the Discussion "ToC books not opening in Chrome".

Did you meen the answer from Jeff Coatsworth?

Is there something I can do myself to fix this IE problem while I wait for Adobe to fix it?Webhelp issue IE11-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Chrome one is Item 14. Look at Item 13.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks, I see the item now.

This fix is ment to solve webhelp problem?

The files in the zip file are described to be in the \ResponsiveHelpExt\ folder not the \webhelp5Ext\ folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. Let me get back to you on that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK let's start again on this one.

I just tested a simple project and the search worked fine in IE11.

The first thing is to determine if this is project related or a general problem. Please open one of the sample projects and see if it works in that. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Did it work OK before you edited the whthost.js file?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample projects work as they should for me to.

And I have the same problem with both old and edited whthost.js file.

But the project worked as it should when it was generated in Robohelp 11.

Do you know where I should look for the problem? Which file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to that is I don't know.

Is it the upgrade to 2017 that has broken it or did it work OK at first?

The image shows it not working on the webserver. Does the local generated version work?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project work as it should on the local generated versjon of webhelp.

The problem appears when I run it from the webserver.

When I run it localy I get this message "Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls".

When I answer Yes to allow IE to run this, it works OK.

When I run it from the websserver I do not get this message at all.

Yes, this worked OK on all webbrowsers before upgrading to RH 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sort of good news.

The response you are getting locally is expected with IE. You can change your IE settings to fix that but that isn't really the current problem. The fact it works locally establishes that something is not right on the server and that is most likely the files are not the same.

You could use some sort of file comparison tool but most likely it would be quicker to first publish all to a new folder on the server and see if that works. If it does, then trash the old folder and apply its name to the new folder so that everything works OK.

Let us know if that fixes it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the files in the \Webhelp\ folder on the webserver is exactly the same as in the \webhelp\ folder localy.

I allways replace the whole folder when update the webserver.

I know that this may not be a Robohelp issue since it works fine when I run it localy.

But IE11 don't ask the "scripts and active-X" question when I run it from the webserver.

Do you know what kind of "program" Robohelp run when I click on the "Go" button in the search folder in webhelp?

Is it a script that is activated to find the word I'am searcing for?

And why does it work fine in Chrome and Edge when I run the same project from the webserver?

Thanks anyway Peter 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE has always popped up this blocker when WebHelp is run locally, it will happen with any WebHelp, not just RoboHelp. It's part of IE. The same protection is not needed when the help is on the server so IE doesn't block it there.

Other browsers don't have this blocker, it is purely an IE thing.

I would guess it is a script that runs but I really don't know.

See Item 6 in Snippets WebHelp. It's very old and a different issue. However, the point is it was a server setting that caused that problem.

Create a dummy project with two or three topics and put that on the server. Does that work OK or does it have the same problem? If the latter, see the Contact page on my site and send the dummy  project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct. I will put that on my server and see if it works there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's using JavaScript to run search and display pages - you probably will have to check if you have JS enabled on your browser and may have to add the website where the help files are located as a "Trusted Location".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp