Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quotes for Search Not Working in Update 6

Enthusiast ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated RoboHelp 2020.5 to 2020.6.

Generated merged/combined Responsive HTML5 output (Azure Blue skin).

Opened output in Chromium Edge.

Ran a search using the following term/entry (included the quotes): "server computer"

Received 0 results.

Ran same search in 2020.5 output.

Received 234 results.

Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested a couple of searches using terms in quotes in the RoboHelp Tour on my site. I also generated a responsive layout and tested that. I am getting results in both frameless and responsive in different browsers (Chrome and Edge) and both are given the same results.

Try some checking of the output. Can the topics with that search term be found through the TOC? Have you tried generating again? 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd, but encouraging. I'll look at this a little more and update here. Thanks Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a new, single/standalone, Responsive HTML 5 output for one of the child projects. Text-string/quotes worked as expected/desired (returned results).

I have noticed in previous 2020 updates, I've had to re-create skins and/or output definitions in the updated version to get my output to function correctly. I wonder if that is the case here. I'll do some more digging...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an update try generating all projects afresh starting with the parent.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No go.

Blew out the target/destination folders to make sure there were no 2020.4 output files leftover that might be causing an issue. Re-generated all projects, starting with parent. Search with quotes still not working. 

Next test - and this will take some time - will be to create new output definitions and skins in 2020.5 and then generating/testing that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean recreate in 2020.6?

I follow but something is wrong if that is necessary every upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Yes. Blew out target/destination to make sure there were no 2020.5 files and regenerated output via 2020.6,

Next step is to create all new build/output definitions in 2020.6 and then test. If issue remains, next step will be to create all new skins in 2020.6 and then test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created and used brand new Responsive HTML5 output definitions in 2020.6 for parent and all child projects. Generated output. No change. Still getting 0 results for enclosed-quote searches. Next test is to create/use a new Azure_Blue skin in 2020.6. The test after that will be some other output, for example, Frameless. Running out of options, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck with created-in-2020.6 Azure_Blue skins.

Next test is Frameless merged output (instead of Responsive HTML5). I'll report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you've got to try it but I don't believe the skin is the issue. 

Are you testing on the server or the local output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With 1 parent and 11 child projects, this will take some time to set up.

Testing on my local machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frameless merged output (using Orange skin) also NOT returning any search results for quote-enclosed text string searches.

Peter, were any of your "tests" performed on merged/combined output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I can look tomorrow but download the demo merge on my site, upgrade the projects and test in that.

Post back with how that goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on your demo projects. Same result.

zeroresults.png

About to log a defect/issue with Adobe unless someone else has a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me run the same test tomorrow to confirm the issue is project related rather than environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that searching in quotes is broken in merged help. I have reported it as a bug so please vote for it.

RH-10143 | Tracker (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, appreciate the confirmation and defect entry. Voted and added my comments. Hopefully this gets addressed in a hotfix sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also thought this was a bug. But now I can see that if you search a prhrase without quotes, and there is an exact match for that phrase, such a topic will be at the top of the results. So, maybe this is intentional. Although, if you oreviously searched by an exact phrase, search results with partial match were not shown. Now they are shown, but the exact match is at the top. This is fine with me. Still it would be nice to know whether the new behaviour is intentional. This may also be related to the search enhancement in update 6 where some special characters are now searchable by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denys, your observation/experience is not the case for me. A search on -- server computer -- did not place a topic with that exact match at the top of my results (we do have topics with that exact match - which were returned in the search results; it's just that none of them appeared first in my results list).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. There amy be some other reasons why they are not returned at the top in your case; hard to tell without examples or access to the project. I shared my experience, and we have quite a big merged help with 13 child projects. Though it was just smoke testing. Maybe I haven't identified possible search issues with ours yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would recommend clearing cache for your help site before testing the new update. For some reason, residual cache often causes various glitches when deployng updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 11 child projects - more than 6,500 topics.

Cleared all browsing history/cache/etc. Same result I described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be absolutely clear, Adobe have acknowledged that Update 6 has broken a search with quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp