• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random spaces

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2006 Apr 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm publishing to WebHelp using RoboHelp for Word. I'm getting random spaces breaking up words throughout the manual. In other words the text looks like this...

This is a sa mple sentence.

Has anyone come across this before or know of a solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 19, 2006 Apr 19, 2006
It's been a while since I used RH for Word, but I'm assuming that it still uses Word for a topic editor.

Have you looked at the "True Code" view from RH for Word? Have you gone into Tools > Options and made everything visible?

The reason I am asking is that this looks like it might be an optional hyphen that WebHelp is interpreting as a space. If it is, you're in luck - Word Replace can find special characters like optional hyphens and get rid of them.

And, of course, you'll want to turn off ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 18, 2006 Apr 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bob2cam

I never work using RoboHelp for Word. What I'm about to suggest would apply to my body of experience using RoboHelp HTML. However, it occurs to me that the same behavior could be observed from RoboHelp for Word.

If you look at the "TrueCode". The HTML code that is produced for your WebHelp pages, look carefully at the text where the odd spacing is occurring. You may notice a <span> tag. The tag may look similar to this: <span style="margin-left: 24px;">.

The fix, of course, is to delete the offending tag ( <span style="margin-left: 24px;"> ) as well as the closing ( </span> ) tag.

The cause? Well, in RoboHelp HTML it seems to occur when you indent some text, press Enter to create a new paragraph, then backspace to combine the two sentences.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but no such luck-
Here's what a section looks like in source view from web help...

<P>If a Term Sheet/Commitment Letter is produced for the credit facility, and the Borrower has signified its acceptance with all terms and conditions contained in the Term Sheet/Commitment Letter by affix ing the appropriate signatures. </P>

Notice the space in the word "affix ing".

The only way, so far... is to delete the word and then retype it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while since I used RH for Word, but I'm assuming that it still uses Word for a topic editor.

Have you looked at the "True Code" view from RH for Word? Have you gone into Tools > Options and made everything visible?

The reason I am asking is that this looks like it might be an optional hyphen that WebHelp is interpreting as a space. If it is, you're in luck - Word Replace can find special characters like optional hyphens and get rid of them.

And, of course, you'll want to turn off optional hyphens in your RH for Word source documents (I forget exactly where...probably Tools > Options again).

HTH,
Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elisa

You are kidding, right? I mean, with your comment:

LOL... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2006 Apr 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Elisa,
That did the trick for 90% of them. I went back and looked at the original Word docs and each word originally had a hyphen.

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp