• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming a folder gives error (RH2020)

Participant ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try to rename a folder in the Contents panel, I get an error message. For example, I have a folder called "Guide":

1) Right-click on Guide folder and choose "rename".

2) In the Name field, I remove the word Guide and replace it with Tutorial.

3) Click Done.

This gives the message:

Folder Exists

Folder "Guide" already exists, choose another name.

Is this just me, or is this a bug? If a bug, any suggestions for a workaround?

I am using RH 2020.6.76 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

I found the cause! Apparently Robohelp does not like projects to be stored in a folder with a "." (period) in it. So, for example, if I create a project in c:\tmp\aaa.bbb, I get the above problem. But if I rename aaa.bbb to aaa_bbb, the problem does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the cause! Apparently Robohelp does not like projects to be stored in a folder with a "." (period) in it. So, for example, if I create a project in c:\tmp\aaa.bbb, I get the above problem. But if I rename aaa.bbb to aaa_bbb, the problem does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! This was driving me crazy. Thanks for the solution! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to this. In my case the offending period was within the path to the folder I was trying to rename. 

Example > C:\Documents\RoboHelp\23.1\RH2020\ProjectX\content\folderx

As soon as I replaced that period/decimal point with an underscore, RH was happy to rename whatever I wanted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file path has no periods in it, but I'm still getting the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate: It has not special characters in it of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the file name/path had no special characters in it, and I was still getting the error. I moved the project out of "MyRoboHelp Projects" and onto a new folder on my C drive. Somehow, that solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst it is not an illegal character most sites covering which characters can be used in file names warn against it.

Glad you found the answer quickly.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "My Robohelp Projects" folder is in the Documents folder which is actually in a path that begins with "C:\Users\[your user name]\". In this case [your user name] might contain a fullstop. e.g. joe.citizen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right. I moved it to a folder outside of the Users folder (C:\whatever), which didn't include the firstname.lastname folder inside the Users folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can one of you guys submit a bug report to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why can't you? 🙂

Please follow this link to report bugs or request new features. https://tracker.adobe.com. Post the link to your bug report / feature request in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp