• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reproducing Indigo customizations in RoboHelp 2020

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my first project to RH 2020. In the short term, I want to reproduce the Responsive HTML5 output using the customizations that were made to the Indigo layout in RH 2019 Classic. (I didn't do the customizations myself.)

All in all, the output doesn't look too bad. The upgrade process did pick up our custom icons, but when I look in RH, I can't find where they are specified. For example, we had custom book and topic icons for the landing page, and although they show up in the output, they aren't sized quite right. We also had custom icons for favorites and the browse sequence, but these also seem a little bit off. For example, the "Next" function in the browse sequence is mapped to the Previous arrow, and the "Previous" function has no icon but does work if you hover in the place where it should be.

In RH, I don't see anywhere in the Skin editor to make customizations. Where should I be looking? I'm using RH 2020 Update 6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You in-built customisation options for HTML5 skins in RH2020 are much more limited than it was in Classic. More options are available for Frameless output skins, if you can look into those instead.

For the HTML5 skin, I think the home page tile images are specified in TOC section of the skin. There aren't any sizing options so your best bet, I think, would be to make sure your images are the same dimensions as for the uncustomised skin - you can double-check by creating a new indigo skin with a slightly different name, then right-click and select Show in Explorer. Open the relevant image in an image editor to check the dimensions. If you can't do that, then I think you need to use the browser developer tools to inspect the output, and figure out if you can customise the css to resize your images. You'd add the custom css into a new css file, and add the file in the Layout > User Assets section of the skin. 

For the Favourites and Previous/Next icons, I think you need to check what the default names for each icon are in an uncustomised skin, and make sure your custom ones are named the same (see above for how to get the the skin folder to check the names). Probably you also need to make sure they are the same dimensions as in the uncustomised ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, one problem solved! My custom icons were sized at 100x100 and the default icons for the Indigo layout are 64x64. So I resized my custom icons and now they are properly centered. (This was not an issue previously, but oh well.)

I'm still having trouble with the row of buttons where the browse sequence appears. The previous/next arrows have the right file names and are the same size as the originals. Our customized icons for favorites display and function correctly.

We had disabled some of the functions (like Print and Expand/Collapse) because they weren't very useful in this very small help project, but I'm wondering if the missing buttons are causing the problem.

In the original Indigo layout, I see these listed under Custom Buttons, but in my customized Indigo layout, there are no custom buttons listed. If I click "Add Button", it seems I would have to set everything up for myself, including the script. I expected it to give me an easy way to re-enable these options. 

The only buttons I see in the output are the Favorites list, Set as Favorite, and the wrong arrow for the Next function in the browse sequence, and they are spaced rather far apart as though there's something missing on that row. I wanted to try to get all the buttons back to see if that would make the browse arrows display correctly. I thought in RH 2019 Classic, all of the buttons in that row were easy to turn on or off, but I can't find similar settings in RH 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see the "vanilla" Indigo skin, create a new skin selecting Indigo, but give it a slightly different name. That will have the original buttons and coding so you can see how it's set up and copy/paste the relevant values into your custom skin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't just turn the default buttons on an off unfortunately. 

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/ .

Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may be getting in over my head here. I copied the properties of the Expand/Collapse, Print, and Highlight custom buttons from the original Indigo skin into my customized skin, but these buttons still don't show up in my output, and the Favorites and browse buttons still have the same issues. I thought maybe there was a general setting like "enable custom buttons" but I can't find anything like that. I might just forge ahead with the Frameless layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try contacting support using the email address on this page (it reaches a dedicated RH team, not general Adobe support). They might be able to help.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frameless does have many more customisation options in the skin editor. For many buttons there is a Display option that can be set to None.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite by accident I found out what was causing the problem with the disappearing buttons. The logo in the original Indigo skin is smaller than the logo I need to use, so I had specified a width of 96 px (rather than 48px) in my customized skin. 

In a different project with a similar setup, I generated the output but forgot to make that change first, and the buttons were all there in the right place. So I went back to the first project, set the logo width back to 48, and all the custom buttons (including the Print, Expand/Collapse, and Remove Highlight buttons that I added myself) were there in the output as expected.

So there must be more required to accommodate a wider logo than just changing one setting in the skin. I suspect this is a job best left to a professional designer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, if there are other dependencies in the skin, I'd think it should be indicated when you make the change. I'd be tempted to report an issue.

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/
Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hey, I was looking for something else and came across this TOC Tile change to manage it through the TOC. While it says Frameless, it seems to work for Indigo.

https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/using/whats-new-robohelp-2020-release-update-5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amber. I'm always tempted to report an issue but it often turns out to be user error 🙂

I was trying to insert a wider logo in the header, not change the TOC tiles. I'll leave it up to the designer to see if she can figure this out. I'm not sure we want to put much effort into Indigo anyway, if a frameless layout is our ultimate goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned the toc tiles in your initial post, so I figured the new method would be worth mentioning, and it's designed for frameless, so relevant for you moving forward. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, right---my upgrade attempts have strayed so far that I forgot my original question!

I am meeting with a designer later today, so I hope she will be able to take over the visual customizations (although the RH 2020 learning curve is very steep).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp