Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML and Search Using the % character

Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using RH2017, 13.0.0.257,Responsive HTML, Azure Blue layout.

When users search for a term which includes the % character, for example, %WORK_DIR%, the correct search results display. However, nothing happens when clicking on a link in the search results.  (%WORK_DIR% is used in our documentation and returned 92 results)

The link correctly opens when selecting the link from the search results and clicking "open in new tab". However, the "Click here to see this page in full context" on the page displayed in the new tab, does not work.

Also, normally, suggestions display as the user types text in the search field.  When the % character is used in the search field, suggestions do not display.  Using the example above, as the users type WORK_DIR, suggestions display. If they type % as the first character, nothing displays and there are no suggestions even as they continue to type.

Everything's toggled on in the search setup:

This happens in both IE 10 and Chrome 64.

I know that sometimes in search engines, using % is a wildcard.  I didn't think RH permitted wildcards in their search function...but.....

Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I wondered if it could be because you are behind on your updates. You should be on 13.0.2.334. With that update you also have to select the layout again from the Gallery as the updates are different but they don't get applied automatically as that would override any customisation.

However, I tested with the latest versions and I see the problem you report.

It seems odd that the whole term is found but you cannot click the link. However, I think your only option is a bug report. Please follow this link to report bugs and request features. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug/feature in this thread and others can vote for it.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your super quick response!

I'll just add a note to the documentation to omit the % character when searching.  (however this relies on them reading it!) For now, this will do.

I was unable to login to the bug tracker from the link above,   "There was an error with this action. Try again later"

So, I'll try again later.......

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking out loud a bit here.

Does the same behavior occur if you surround the search string with quotes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, even with quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Later came sooner.

Here's the link to the reported bug:

Tracker

RH-1377 "Search doesn't work properly when a search term contains the % character"

If you need to search for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp