• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2015. How can I quickly find out where bookmarks are being used?

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2015.

I inherited topics from a writer who has left the company. One topic has a lot of bookmarks. The only way I've found to identify where the bookmarks are used is to save a Topic Properties report as an RTF and then search the RTF for each instance of the bookmark.

When I add a row to a table where each field has a bookmark, I need to understand the logic behind the bookmarks so that I can create a new bookmark and then create links to it from all appropriate places.

Does anyone know of any better way to do this?

Thanks.

Carol Levine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Customise the Topics Report to just show bookmarks.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not help, but you can see all the topics linked to a specific bookmark by expanding the topic in Project Manager to show the bookmarks, then right-click on a bookmark and select Show > Topic References.

BookMarkRefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or possibly Show > Topic Links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that view much more confusing. The interface could do with...erm...modernising and streamlining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amebr.

Neither option (Show Topic Links or Show Topic References) does what I need it to do. Even when you right-click on the bookmark, you only get the topic links/references. What I want is an easy to understand Link View or report for every bookmark in the project.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customise the Topics Report to just show bookmarks.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.

I have done this and it makes the report less cumbersome to search. But it's still a cumbersome process.

I wish I could click on a bookmark and see a link view for it. Now I have to search the report RTF for each bookmark to find each topic where it's being used.

Regards,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right click the bookmark in Project Manager, there is an option Show > Topic Links. Any topic that has any link from the topic with the bookmark will be shown. Thus if the bookmark is in a topic with no other links other than from a topic that links to the bookmark, you have the information you want. Trouble is if the topic with the bookmark has other links to it, you will not be able to see which ones are to the bookmark.

Not ideal but it might help.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi -

I'd already tried the Bookmark > Show Topic Links. It doesn't help because there are many topics that link to that bookmark.

In the end, generating a Topic Properties report, filtered for bookmarks, and then searching the report for "Links to bookmarks" seems to be the best approach. Tedious though.

It would be good to have a Reports > Bookmarks tab.

Meanwhile, RoboHelp 15 processes the report veeeerrry slowly and then acts as though it's not responding .

Happy holidays, Peter.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp