• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2017 - Adding video thumbnails in help pages to play on click

Participant ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we have videos hosted on youtube or brainshark or some other video hosting site and we have a URL to play the video directly, can we in RH 2017 Responsive HTML5 insert a reference to that video as a thumbnail?

After you insert a reference to the video, it should shown a small thumbnail with the play button overlayed on it. When you click Play, it should start playing the video. We can maximize if required.

In short, we want to avoid video baggage files in the source but we want to reference an existing hosted video.

Any suggestions/pointers if this is possible?

-Tejas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

ello again

Normally when you insert a video from Vimeo, it's pretty simple. You just click the little envelope to share, then copy the video URL. Then in RoboHelp, you click the Insert tab, then Multimedia, then choose Web URL and you paste the copied URL into the field.

Now, there are some videos where that doesn't work and I'm not exactly sure why. For example, I tried the "Staff Pick" video I saw when I opened my Vimeo page and as you can see below, something has gone wrong.

Snag_21288ad5.png

But if I grab the vi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In situations like this I create a small project with one or two topics to see if something will work. If it goes bang, your main project is safe.

Insert your thumbnail image, right click and select Insert Hyperlink.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a RoboHelp project where I've done this literally hundreds of times. If you take a look at the link below, you can see the output. If you like it and want more information on how I achieved it, I'll post back with info on the steps I'm using.

Click here to view the site

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for picking up late...was on vacation.

Somehow www.moacr.com is getting blocked and I am unable to view. If you could post a screenshot, Rick, or the steps whichever is easier for you that'll be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I recorded a video to demonstrate things. Give it a look and let me know if you need more!

MOACR - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping YouTube isn't blocked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Rick. I am able to view it now. Youtube.com isn't blocked .

I shall try out the steps you've demonstrated and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need more detail, I'm happy to try and provide better info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

This is exactly what we are looking for.

Would you be able to share the steps of how you inserted the video thumbnail in the help page and how did you edit the properties the URL, attributes, autoplay, etc?

Can we resize the video thumbnail or is there a default size?

We have few videos on vimeo and few on brainshark as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ello again

Normally when you insert a video from Vimeo, it's pretty simple. You just click the little envelope to share, then copy the video URL. Then in RoboHelp, you click the Insert tab, then Multimedia, then choose Web URL and you paste the copied URL into the field.

Now, there are some videos where that doesn't work and I'm not exactly sure why. For example, I tried the "Staff Pick" video I saw when I opened my Vimeo page and as you can see below, something has gone wrong.

Snag_21288ad5.png

But if I grab the video URL from the embed code on Vimeo and paste it, things seem fine.

Snag_2129fe1c.png

Now here is what Vimeo supplies as the basic link:

https://vimeo.com/giovannipautran/paloma

And here is what the embed code looks like:

Snag_2130ac70.png

Note that I copied the highlighted bit from the embed code, then pasted that into the RoboHelp dialog.

Now you will also note that there is a button on the lower left that is labeled "Appearance". I clicked that and see this:

Snag_21347232.png

You might initially enable and complete the Preferred width field with 500px, then click the OK button followed by the next OK button. This should cause the video area to appear inside the RoboHelp topic and it should then have sizing handles you can use to just click and drag to adjust the size to your liking.

Snag_213849d6.png

Hopefully this helps a bit. Just shout at me if you need more than this.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't thank you enough for sharing this. If I was in the US, I would have taken you out for a Coffee .

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp