Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2017 Indigo Theme Favorites issue in Internet Explorer

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I am using the Indigo theme in RH 2017 for my HTML5 help. The Favorites button is working as expected in Google Chrome. However, I am facing the following issues in Internet Explorer:

1. If I save some topics as favorites in the Help in Google Chrome. And then I open the help in Internet Explorer, the saved topics are not showing up on the Favorites panel.

2. If I save any topics as favorites in Internet Explorer and close the help. The favorites topics do not show up in the Favorites panel the next time open the help in Internet Explorer.

Is anyone else facing the same issue? If so, have you been able to resolve it? Or is this a bug from Adobe's end?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: 1. I wouldn't even have thought it was accessible cross-browser. So I did some googling.

Peter states he was told it uses html5 local storage:

RH2017 Favorites

And I found this stackoverflow post, which seems to confirm it's per browser only:

html5 Local Storage Across Different Browsers - Stack Overflow

I'm not an expert though, so I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I can't help with the second issue. The HTML5 local storage topic linked in Peter's post suggests it should be available for IE8 and above.

But I just had a thought. If your IE version is set to compatibility mode (I think intranet sites can be set up that way) then you might not have local storage. Oh, and I think it's not available when running locally, so make sure you test on a proper web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Amber's excellent comment, here is an excerpt from Willam's blog

"...Saving a page as a favorite saves the pages in the browsers’ cache. And the help system has a list of all favorites within the current project. ..a single click adds the list to the favorites. Favorites survive a reboot and are only removed when a user clears all browser history and cache:"

Also, for convenience here is the relevant link to Peter's summary on Favorites.

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

https://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2017/03/25/help-authoring-robohelp-2017-easier-faster-and-more-acces...

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all

Ahhhh, isn't the world of browsers and all that rot just wrought with fun? (I jest)

Another thing to consider on this is that in today's brave new world of browsers, it's possible to configure your browser to "forget" everything when you close it. So if the favorites have been stored this way, it seems only logical that if your IE browser has been configured to "forget" the browsing history, the favorite won't appear next time you open IE.

LetsPlay.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp