Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2019 header and footer sticking from 2017

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We use master pages in 2017, that include headers and footers.

I've just upgraded one of my projects to 2019, and noticed that the headers and footers have been converted to HTML in the new topics.

This means when you apply the master page at compilation, you end up with TWO headers and footers.

Oops.

So, I came up with this solution, rather than going through every topic and deleting the extra header and footer. If anyone else has a better solution, I'd love to know as at the moment I'm in the experimental stage of using 2019, and have a lot of projects that will need conveting in the (looong) months to come. Some of these have a great many topics.

1. Create a new master page  with nothing in it (delete the autotext)
  2. Select all files and apply the empty master page.
  3. Open each and every topic to make sure the new master page applies, and removes the header and footer.
  4. Save and close.
  5. Open 2019 and convert.
  6. Delete the “new” master page, and apply the original master page to the output.
  7. Cross everything...

This appears to work. However, it seems pretty darn daft to me. Why couldn't they have stripped out the master page code before converting??

So, if I'm missing something, please let me know!

I've also had trouble converting many of my projects, Adobe are investigating.

Nicola

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution, but I also noticed weird things with master pages (in my case, the master page contents completely overwrite the topic contents). There are so many things broken/unavailable in this release that I have decided to wait for the first update and hope things get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm afraid that's my solution too. I've too much to do to be dealing with buggy software. Perhaps the next version will be better? Or the one after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh good, I am glad I am not the only one! In my case, the Master page I had for our Help just disappeared. Making a new one has been a frustrating process to try and get it back to what it was before. Very disappointing.

I too think I will wait until this release is more ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 is a new beast. I'm sure many changes will be forthcoming. I'd say stick with 2017 (or use 2019 Classic) until it is a bit more mature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded a project of 2017 to 2019. Before reading it, I was searching for the option to apply the master pages on topics. Thanks to point it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE!

I've updated to the latest version of 2019, but the issue of the sticking header and footer remains.

HOWEVER (dramatic music), my method appears to work without you having to open every topic:

1. Create a new master page  with nothing in it (delete the autotext)
  2. Select all files and apply the empty master page.
  3. Save and close.
  4. Open 2019 and convert.
  5. Delete the “new” master page, and apply the original master page to the output.
  6. Cross everything...

There do seem to be a few clinging footers, however, randomly placed through out the project. Which isn't quite good enough when you have several hundred topics.

So back to waiting for update no 2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp