Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2019 new UI: Insert snippets in continuous text without line break

Enthusiast ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As I understood, snippets are a good way to re-use content. However, it seems not to be possible to include snippets into continuous text without a line break. Is there some way to accomplish this? Or would it be better to use variables instead?

Best regards

Karin

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling with this now - I formatted the snippet content using a character style (rather than a paragraph style) in the hopes that that would work, but when you insert a snippet, it is wrapped in a div tag in the code. I think it's going to break no matter what.:/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snippets are paragraph level only.

Variables are inline, but the new way means you can't apply any formatting, which breaks most of my variables (I have bolding and hyperlinks in mine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait. I checked the Learn a Latte project. Now you have to enter html code manually instead of just using wysiwyg formatting... :S

So if you want to format something, you enter the following in the variable value field (obviously you can use a class if you've set up a style for it rather than manual formatting, but you still have to know the code):

This is my <span style="font-weight: bold;font-size:20pt; color: pink;">bold large pink</span> text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup - but I am still getting a broken link in the Broken Links report even though I entered the href code in the variable to insert a link to a topic. I'll fiddle with the link code today to see if I can get it working, but if it's still broken, I'm going to remove the variable and just enter the text manually in the 10 or so topics where the variable is used. It feels like a step backward, but I need it to work, so... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the link works in your output. In old versions of RH, I have a few "broken" links listed that actually work fine in the output (I have a complicated merge setup, so...). I'll have a play in New UI later to see if I can figure out what's going on (I havea  theory).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay in RH 2019 Classic and older, you could drag and drop to create links to topics in variables. When you generated, RH automatically corrected the links based on the project folder structure. So if the variable linked to topic.htm in the root folder and you used the variable in topic2.htm in the root folder it would get a URL of "topic.htm". If you used the variable in a topic in a sub folder (say L2/Topic3.htm), the URL would be "../topic.htm".

In the New UI, what you type is what you get; no correction takes place on generate. So in the situation above, both topics would get the URL "topic.htm", resulting in a broken link in topic3.htm.

In most cases for a single project, I can't imagine why you would do this, however, we have a separate topic we use for a glossary, as the built in one is inadequate for our needs. So this would break a bunch of terms we have as a variable which link to this custom glossary. In 2019 New UI we would need a separate variable for every sub folder level we use, and would need to remember to link the correct level variable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have reported that. Meantime I wonder if duplicate snippets to reflect different folder levels would get the poster around the problem.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp