• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020 - Indent a block of text within a list.

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In bulleted and numbered lists, I want to create style so that I can have a pargraph that is not numbered within the list. In other words:

1.   ksfakfhakfjasdfakfwakl skjdfhskldjfhla skjdfhskdj

a;lskfja;kljfas;ldja;kldfja;lkjsfad skldfslkdj saldkfjlfjkda slkdfj;dafkj;a sdakfj;skldafjlsa;kj 
      ljawlfjaslfdjslda sdkfjlda j;slakfjdkla; sla fjlksd

2.  la;sjflkasdjfskldajskldfjslakdfjakldfj

I have tried using text indent but that only indents the first line. I think I need to use a hanging.indent? I am not sure how to do this in the style editor? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Try this for Level One

image.png

... and this for Level 2

image.png

Create a list with a few level one items only, then press tab with the cursor in front of one of them. It will become a paragraph with no numbering, as shown above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have just found the answer to this in another thread! https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/numbered-lists-with-hanging-indents-not-aligning-with-double...

So it would be create a new list style, called ident2 and set the level to level 2 and set the style to None. So would I need to have an indent style for ul and another for ol? I am not sure I am understanding how multi-level lists work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I couldnt get that to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this right?

joannah98656944_0-1624961749491.png

But in my RH topic, it doesnt work:

joannah98656944_1-1624962247669.png

Also when I go back into stylesheet editor it does not seem to have saved my changes,

joannah98656944_2-1624962283388.png

although when I go into the source I think it looks right.

joannah98656944_3-1624962342603.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are wanting is an ordered list like this but where the L of Level 2 aligns with the L of Level One or maybe indented a bit further, that's your choice.

1. Level One
    1. Level Two

To do that you need to set Level 2 to None but you have set Level 3 to that.

With ordered lists level two must follow level one, you cannot jump to level three from level one.

See this page on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I want is to have a paragraph within a bulleted or numbered list, that does not have a bullet or number. 

So 

1. Level 1

level 1 paragraph

2. Level 2

Level 2 paragrapph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for that level you set the numbering to None.

What you cannot do is have the following using the levels, the second item has skipped Level 2 and you cannot skip levels.

1. Item

a. Item

Some text

2. Then another item followed by a paragraph with numbering

Some text

You can cheat it by pressing Shift Enter at the end of 2 but likely your line spacing won't be what you want.

If it is always

1. Item

Some text

2. Item

Some text

Then set Level 2 to have None as the numbering style as you had at level 3.

There is a strict hierarchy so other than the cheat above, each list item has to folllow that hierarchy. Autonumbering allows you to get around that as explained in the page I linked to but it has accessibility issues.

Does that clarify?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you select None, RH takes the cursor back to the beginning. 

joannah98656944_0-1624965950624.png

The only way round it that I have found is to go to the source and add a <p></p> tag within the <li></li> tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot both items are Level 1. With the cursor in front of Item 2, press the tab key so that it goes to level 2.

Show us the editor as you did in this post in the thread.

If Level 2 is set up to show just a paragraph with no numbering, when you press the tab key as above it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this for Level One

image.png

... and this for Level 2

image.png

Create a list with a few level one items only, then press tab with the cursor in front of one of them. It will become a paragraph with no numbering, as shown above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creating a p inside the li is the correct way of including a non-numbered paragraph inside a list for HTML. I wish it was easier to do in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp